What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes leaf problems

• Thread starter Scuipici
  • Start date
3 of my nepenthes, ampullaria, bicalcarata and albomaginata are showing decay on the leaves. Bicalcarata is in the worst shape but it's still alive, it makes a leaf and then it rots. The ampullaria was doing the same but recently the tendril showed signs of decay and I lost it. Now the albomarginata is showing signs also. Had these lowlanders since last summer. The albomarginata was forming pitchers but the lids never opened up. The temp is around 20-23 during day, I keep them on a windowsill and the ventilation is not very great. Could it be some fungus problem? is the temp too low and they are finally giving up? is it a root problem? should i repot? I have a truncata on the same windowsill and it's doing ok. Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/5lAeq

The decay isn't my first concern. The leaf curl is often a sign of sucking pests. Check under the leaves. If you can't see bugs, run a cotton ball or clean white paper towel along the bottom of the leaf. If it has a colored residue (red usually) you have mites.

Oh and you're freezing those plants to death. 20 is the low end of what they will tolerate at night. They are lowlanders, and need about 30 during the day.

Oh and you're freezing those plants to death. 20 is the low end of what they will tolerate at night. They are lowlanders, and need about 30 during the day.

It's only a few degrees below the conditions they grow in naturally. Not ideal but certainly not killing the plants.

Yeah you're right - I over exaggerated. But what is the low at night?

another thing the soil what is it ?

another thing the soil what is it ?

it's peat + perlite. Had them since last may. They weren't forming pitchers but they somehow grew little by little.

has that soil worked for you with other neps?

Peat and perlite is NOT Nepenthes soil, repot them immediately. Nepenthes in general expect airy soils such as those based on long-fiber sphagnum or, for the more lithophytic species, rock and clay pellets. Peat will become too anaerobic and rot the roots, eventually the stem and everything else.

Back