Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Klossii clones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish BE would keep an official database of their Nepenthes clones but unfortunately their Availability pdf seems to be the closest they've gotten -- and since their N. klossii release was so limited, it fell completely on the retailers to disseminate any pertinent clone info. I hope wrong information won't be spread but I feel like it's inevitable with the lack of an official release or newsletter to clarify all the new clones.

That being said, I've been trying to figure out what's going on with clone numbers as well.

Old clones:
    Clone 2 (BE-3502) was released several years ago; this is the "lost" clone, after a limited release the line was said to be lost in an electrical fire. I think this is the more common clone as Tony P sold some of these in the US.

BE-3452 is a single clone according to Catalano's Code Database. I don't know when or for how long this clone was sold, presumably it was before clone 2, and presumably it was also lost from commercial production.

BE also dispersed some seedlings non-commercially starting in August 2009, from these there are some N. klossii x maxima. Recently there was a claim on an eBay listing that BE only had one hybrid from all their seedlings and clones, but the long short of it is that several growers and BE have grown out N. klossii x maxima from the seedlings so I'm really skeptical of the claim.

New clones:
    There are at least four batch numbers associated with the new clones, BE-3773, BE-3774, BE-3775, and BE-3776.

From what I've seen, BE-3773 has clones 21 and 269.

BE-3774 has clones 227 and 266.

BE-3775 has clones 220, 229, and 275.

BE-3776 has clone 210.

Other clones I've seen include 22, 230, 237, 254, 256, 257, 264, 260, 268, 271, and 272 -- I don't know which batch number any of these clones correspond to, if any. I don't know how the batch numbers were determined; they could be based on BE's confidence of purity (wild speculation, don't quote me on this) or they could be for commercial record-keeping purposes. Something I really don't like is the mix of two and three-digit clone numbers. Congrats to BE if they have 270-odd individual cultures of N. klossii in the lab, but it's way too easy to confused 21 with 210 when labels fade or when someone tries to sell one for the other...

It's great and completely understandable that BE includes a hybrid disclaimer with the new release, but word of mouth recently is that these clones are duplicates -- Rob himself said on Facebook that,

"True, we had a terrible electrical fire which did us massive damage. However, we have worked for years, attempting to save some contaminated N. klossii which we were keeping in a different part of the lab and we think we have now succeeded. We are growing the plants out now and if we are right and the saved clones are true N. klossii and not the maxima hybrid, then it will come back commercially. However it will still be a while and the supply will be tiny for some time to come" (28 February 2017).

If the clone numbers really do refer to each new isolated plate, many of these newly isolated and relabeled clones of clones are actually of the exact same source clone/clones. On the one hand, redundancy means obsessing over these new clone numbers is a waste of time; on the other hand, it makes tracking the clones a heck of a lot more complicated. Because of BE's lack of transparency with the release, we can't ever know until they issue a statement!
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Clue!

I was going to get one of those that Tony P was selling years back but I think I had gotten laid off just before was why I didn't get one. I remember him telling me they were ready along with the N. pervellei I was after, so someone else got those.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So apparently BE-3452 is once again back; curious to see how the price will compare to our newer N. klossii...

klossii-availability 1/5/18

I am perplexed why the re-release of BE-3452 wasn't announced with the BE-3773 to 3776's, I imagine lots of people would rather buy a confirmed true clone than our questionable mystery clones.
    Last edited by Clue; 01-05-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    Plant List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason it wasn't announced earlier is simple, so the new unconfirmed clones would sell.

I, for one, would have never bought my 210 if I had known this was on the horizon and I'm sure many others would have done the same. The new clones would have been tough for them to sell compared to a confirmed clone if they were released at the same time.

I'm still a bit confused as to where this one came from. I thought I had read that BE lost all their old klossii stock in a fire or something, I guess that wasn't true?
    Last edited by mikefallen13; 01-05-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard about the old clone coming back earlier this week. From what I understand, they managed to save one culture, but have dealt with repeated contamination over the past 5 years and have not known until now whether they'd actually be able to save it and start propagating it for sale again. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if that happened before releasing the new clones too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news! Now if sellers won't relabel the other questionable clones as this one...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes klossii (Clone 227) BE-3774

My 227 (BE-3774) isn't a bad grower so far, seems to be establishing itself well. An interesting characteristic I've noticed is the leaf continues to expand well after unfurling, a characteristic that I've seen in relatively few species, the one that comes to mind right now is N. villosa.
    Plant List

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plant so far. The angle of the mouth seems promising so far. Seems like there is a faint fuzz on the pitchers and tendrils. Is it present on other parts of the plant?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast