What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. burkei sickly brown color on new growth?

• Thread starter Sashoke
  • Start date
iOx2MoI.jpg

Today I noticed the new leaf on my N. burkei, which hasnt even unfurled yet, is a sickly brown shade... The plant has seemed otherwise healthy and none of my other plants are exhibiting this. I dont believe it could be pests because I grow indoors and havent introduced any new plants in years, but I guess its possible I tracked some in on me...? Not sure.

The plant hasnt been repotted in 3+ years, is it possible it simply needs some new soil?

Thank you for any responses! Id like to get this figured out sooner rather than later.

Does the media smell? Usually that is a sign that it needs to be changed.

Does the media smell? Usually that is a sign that it needs to be changed.

Smells a bit fungusy when I water it, otherwise not, though Ive experienced that odor on brand new soil so I dont think it is that. It isnt an overpowering terrible smell. The moss its growing in is also semi alive and has spouts of green growth.

I've seen damage like this caused by thrips and spider mites, so treating with an insecticide could be wise, but similar damage can also come from extreme heat or cold exposure. This is not generally something that's a soil issue; the bottom of the plant or all leaves would generally be affected by something like that.

Id like to update this, the plant seems free of pest and the leafs browning accelerated until it just looked like any other old dead leaf. Very strange, I cut it off today and will be observing the plant closely. Cold/Heat damage would be the only thing I could think of to cause this despite it being temperature controlled all day, and there were no spikes according to my thermometer.

Looks like sun damage to me.

Back