Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Terrarium: Leaves turning red

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants all look fine to me, though I will echo the others that it's not generally a good idea to keep flytraps in a terrarium (or Sarracenia for that matter.) Your B52 x Low Giant looks a bit buried too.

I would say that 85F is a bit warm for those plants, 75-80F would be better if you can drop the temps a bit. I don't see any lowland plants on your list (just some hybrids with one lowland parent) so you don't need it that warm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Dormancy is influenced by photoperiod, possibly more than temperature. The shortening daylight hours send cues to the plants telling them to start dormancy. That's why most people recommend not growing temperates in terrariums. Recreating the changing light hours is a bit of a pain and doesn't benefit the other plants. Texas should be fine as flytraps have been successfully naturalized as far south as Florida. That being said your plants are looking pretty good, nicely set up terrarium. I'd just remove the x wrigleyana. Being in Texas your household temperatures are probably closer to what it prefers than the terrarium.
    I will go ahead and place the flytraps and the wrigleyana outside. It usually gets upto 95 F during daytime and down to 78 F in the evening including early AM. Humidity will be around 70-75 %. Are these conditions okay for the flytraps and the Wrigleyana?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, also dormancy is triggered mostly by changes in photoperiod and not temperature so your Dionaea should still go dormant outside even if it doesn't cool down significantly during winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same here, just got some nice LEDS and they're already going red!
    Last edited by MPX_78; 08-16-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Yes, also dormancy is triggered mostly by changes in photoperiod and not temperature so your Dionaea should still go dormant outside even if it doesn't cool down significantly during winter.
    How short should the photoperiod be for dormancy? And what would be the ideal temperature then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPX_78 View Post
    same here, just got some nice LEDS and they're already going red!
    Even thought the leaves on my plants are turning red, they are growing bigger too and I see beginning signs of pitcher formation. So far my temp has been hovering right at 80 F during daytime. As far as the red coloration, some others have been saying it might be due to too much sun/ light. I am thinking of trying out a shade cloth (40%) in a week, and might let it stay there if the temp stays within range.

I would say you should just stick with it. Just make sure the leaves are not turning black. It seems only the Neps are kinda finicky about the light. Many of the websites say that they need filtered bright light, hence my take on the shade cloth. All the other parameters are within range.
    Last edited by AaronCh; 08-17-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronCh View Post
    How short should the photoperiod be for dormancy? And what would be the ideal temperature then?
    I've always grown my temperate CPs outside so I'm not sure how much the photoperiod changes but people who grow temperate plants indoors usually shorten the photoperiod by a few hours to simulate the shorter photoperiod in the winter. I'm not sure about the specifics. If you really don't think growing your Dionaea outside will cause it to go dormant, you can always dig it up and put it in the fridge to make it go dormant, as growers in tropical climates do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    I've always grown my temperate CPs outside so I'm not sure how much the photoperiod changes but people who grow temperate plants indoors usually shorten the photoperiod by a few hours to simulate the shorter photoperiod in the winter. I'm not sure about the specifics. If you really don't think growing your Dionaea outside will cause it to go dormant, you can always dig it up and put it in the fridge to make it go dormant, as growers in tropical climates do.
    I will probably be putting it in a cooler outside with the lid open for the light and the ice pack just in case to bring it down a coupla degrees. Should do the trick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast