What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did I do wrong?

• Thread starter FLTropical
  • Start date
I tried to collect my N. maxima mini's pollen, and it was a bust. Shook the flowers over wax paper, thwacked them, tried a q-tip.... no pollen. Did I wait too long? Not wait long enough?
a19daf629f7ea585ecc26d69ff87c2db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I can see, they haven't started releasing pollen; when the heads start looking fluffy rather than smooth or ribbed with closed anthers, then pollen is out in the open and can be shaken or scraped off (I usually use a toothpick to scrape it off into aluminum or wax paper so I don't leave any behind).

I've found that the pollen will fall off very easily when ripe. Just wait for the flowers to age some more.

Try again when it smells like cat piss.

Never smelled a Nepenthes that smells like cat urine (Sarracenia are a different story), but they have plenty of other odd odors.

Thanks all. Unfortunately I cut the entire stall off. Lots of learning this time around! Fortunately, the next day I was watering and spotted a new flower spike. Thing grows like a weed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back