What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Nepenthes Experiment Thread

I know that this post could go in the feeding poll/thread, however this could go towards all plant experiments in general- so here it goes!
:)
Experiment #1: Feeding a nepenthes plant a 2 cm cube of strawberry fruit snack.
Results:
- enzyme/ pitcher fluid production increase
- Fruit snack absorbs some fluid, begins to break down within 45 minutes
- within two days, pitcher produces nectar, and has completely absorbed the fruit snack.
- as of this posting, pitcher shows no negative impacts from this experiment- and in fact looks pretty healthy.
Ionjj4i.png

What do you guys think? Have you done any experiments yourself? If so, what were the results?

Interesting. I wonder if it was enzyme activity by the plant and not the candy dissolving on its own. As far as I know the enzymes produced by nepenthes are mainly nitrogen focused.

I tried to see if live prey made a difference versus dried in growth and only found that they'd catch far more on their own outside than I had the time to feed by hand when they were inside.

note: cm cube was a typo, they should be much smaller. It takes more energy to absorb the sugars I guess, and too much will overwhelm the plant. As with other types of food, too much will kill of the trap.

Back