What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland vs lowland

Hella everyone. I'm still new to Neps. I have two at the moment and want to add more to my collection. I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on which you thought was easier Highland or lowland. right now I have a lady luck and a lowes Nep? The Lowes one is doing very well in my indoor greenhous the the lady luck on the other hand is much too large for the greenhouse and can only hang in a window. I think its lacking humidity as it's difficult to get it to pitcher other than that it doing fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've found that intermediate to highland species are generally easier to keep happy in the home environment. You get 2 good seasons to grow then, spring and fall, instead of one for lowlanders, summer. Depends where you are of course. Someone in Alabama would probably see more success with a raff. Odd your N. "lady luck" has issues pitchering. How long has it been on the windowsill?

Lowe's Nepenthes are supposed to be practically unkillable. What's the humidity like in your growing environment outside the greenhouse?

True highlanders and lowlanders are both poor choices for windowsill culture in most cases, even when temperatures are correct, it's basically impossible to keep humidity at 60-80% (which is really required by many species). I'd recommend easy to grow intermediate species or hybrids, though even with these you'll probably have periods where no pitchers develop.

I've found that intermediate to highland species are generally easier to keep happy in the home environment. You get 2 good seasons to grow then, spring and fall, instead of one for lowlanders, summer. Depends where you are of course. Someone in Alabama would probably see more success with a raff. Odd your N. "lady luck" has issues pitchering. How long has it been on the windowsill?

It's been in its NE facing window sins spring. Heath wise its great but the tendrils are small and most likely not going to pitche. It's much too large for any enclosure I have or can get.

36765232261_abc8b9c8b4_z.jpg

Lowe's Nepenthes are supposed to be practically unkillable. What's the humidity like in your growing environment outside the greenhouse?

My Lowe's Nep is doing great in my greenhouse. The lady luck I got from a local nursery. My house is around 30-40% humidity maybe a little les

True highlanders and lowlanders are both poor choices for windowsill culture in most cases, even when temperatures are correct, it's basically impossible to keep humidity at 60-80% (which is really required by many species). I'd recommend easy to grow intermediate species or hybrids, though even with these you'll probably have periods where no pitchers develop.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was thinking about ether converting the greenhouse to a setup or leaving that for pings and dews and making a setup for ether highland or lowland. I'm just not sure what setup would be easier to achieve. It would most likely consist of hybrids and intimate plant with a few easy splashy plant of one or the other. I just wasn't sure what my best option was.

It seems like an issue of it not getting enough light rather than humidity. How many hours of sun does that window get?

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Probably about 5 or 6 direct and another 3 abiant.

Back