What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with new Nep, Please Help!

• Thread starter Acro
  • Start date
About 10 days ago I received a N. ventricosa x campanulata rooted cutting. I potted it up just as I've done with my other Neps (with a mix of LFS, perlite, and orchid bark) and placed it in front of a window where my other Neps are growing. It's a South facing window that gets a few hours of sun every day. I often don't open the blinds until after noon. I use the tray method for water, allowing the water to evaporate in between waterings, and I use distilled water.

I've done the exact same thing with other Neps and I've had success. However this plant, is looking a little rough. It's leaves are wrinkled, some have turned yellowish, and the tip of it's new leaf/growth point has dried up and turned brown. The lower portion of the growing point was looking ok, but its starting to wrinkle too. At first I thought it might need to acclimate to drier conditions so I placed a bag over it. But now I'm thinking it may be getting too much sun. I'm not sure as I've never experienced this.

I just reread some of the communications I've had with the supplier and I was told that it was grown outdoors in 70% shade in Houston TX. This makes me think, even more, that the plant may be getting too much sun. Please look at the below photos. Does the plant look like it's getting too much light? If not, what might be wrong? Either way, how can I help this plant recover? I hope it's not too late.

full

full

full

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 47
Looks like a moisture and humidity problem to me, not light. Houston is very humid. I'd bag it and keep out of direct sunlight. I'd keep the moss wet too, until the plant becomes less dehydrated.

My Nepenthes cuttings usually look like that right after I take them. It's a sign that the plant is losing more water than it is taking in. I agree with FLTropical, increasing the humidity and adding more water to the media should help. Since the plant is rooted, it should recover.

Looks like a moisture and humidity problem to me, not light. Houston is very humid. I'd bag it and keep out of direct sunlight. I'd keep the moss wet too, until the plant becomes less dehydrated.

My first thought, too, was that the plant looked stressed by environment change with a change in humidity being the likely issue. I'd second FLT's suggestions for treatment.

My Nepenthes cuttings usually look like that right after I take them. It's a sign that the plant is losing more water than it is taking in. I agree with FLTropical, increasing the humidity and adding more water to the media should help. Since the plant is rooted, it should recover.

My first thought, too, was that the plant looked stressed by environment change with a change in humidity being the likely issue. I'd second FLT's suggestions for treatment.

Humidity it is! Thanks you three! High Fives all around!

Currently the plant is getting less sunlight, it's under a plastic bag and the water tray is full. And now there are no more wrinkles in the leaves, and it looks like the growing tip is pushing up more than before. It may still be too early to say, but I think the plant is making a recovery.

Thanks again for the diagnosis! I'll update when I know what direction we're going.

Back