What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes addiction update

Hey guys just wanted to do a quick update on my neps. So i recently got a plastic house for them just to trap humidity better. Also..probably gonna need to down size on the lamp as its a bit too big to hang on any of the shelves😁 I have also been dropping temps with ice packs at night although i shouldn't have too considering its October(socal bipolar weather). Also added a Ventimata and copelandii to the collection so got that going for me😁here are some pics to show progress on plants

Nepenthes hamata

QP4hwd4.jpg

Bc9lPKw.jpg

Pitcher looks like it might've popped open early which is a shame not sure though

Hamata x platychila

ouR7exX.jpg

kbYkDYT.jpg

Finally growing its first leaf and a pitcher it has is developing

Spathulata x hamata

Incbrh3.jpg

9kny1Jo.jpg

I suspect the spath might've been an early popper as well because I remember its previous pitchers it came with being much darker and colorful but again what do i know lol.

"Lantern gentle"

M41TLqi.jpg

erZgYye.jpg

Yeah I'm starting to think this might be a ventricosa/ventrata

Ventrimata(Ventricosa X hamata)

cjaMAj0.jpg

THvwXvk.jpg

Unknown hybrid

3EA0khI.jpg

49uoBkp.jpg

Hamata Jr.

V73gJnY.jpg

This guy taught me hamatas prefer dimmer conditions poor things been through he'll but it has new growth coming out

Copelandii

lc4J6sC.jpg

TMnJ4dg.jpg

Cephalotus

YE7ZoLo.jpg

ZAOP3JV.jpg

Never shared these guys cause i thought they were gonna croak and goners for sure. The guy far into the pot got knocked over and at the time i had no media so i thought it was gonna hit the can for sure but it still hasn't died surprisingly(had these guys for about 2 months now) the other one i honestly have no idea what i did wrong it just died back....alot. I after decided to move them in here and since then I guess since then they just haven't died and if anything the guy far into the pot has even made progress. Also, I have been looking for a more permanent solution to the temp drop so any ac units or whatever you can suggest to cool my shelf is appreciated thank you all for your time!

Last edited:
Looking nice. Your pitchers haven't necessarily opened early. A lot of nepenthes pitchers will open much paler and gradually reach their full color after they have been open for a while. I got some cephs from the same place you did and I'm not much better at getting them to grow. Can't help you there.

Wow that's great news then i was starting to think I was doing something wrong! And yeah those Cephalotus are tricky

That hamata looks really nice! As do the others, but what can I say, I'm partial ;)

My first try at cephalotus, I kept it outside on a deck and it got knocked over twice and survived and even continued to grow a bit (it must have been knocked down by a squirrel or something). The third time it was so far gone by the time I got to it--pretty much entirely desiccated--that I decided to give up on it. Nonetheless, I think these things are a lot tougher than they get credit for. They'll certainly appreciate brighter light, if you can get it.

Yeah I noticed my Cephalotus never really burned up in the sun like nepenthes did and they could take way more yet they still managed to go and die lol...well not dead yet at least

You might want to put your Cephalotus in a new container with a soil that has alot more sand in it. Ceps can dry out a bit, but they looked a little dry, really hard to say from a photo...just don't let there pot sit in water unless it is a tall pot. Good look with those, they look like they still have a chance.

Back