What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep cuttings: Chop up the sphagnum or use the long strands?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Greetings folks,

It's been a long time since I was here and a long time since I messed with my Neps at all beyond watering them (like 3+ years?) so I've kinda forgotten whether I should chop or grind up my long fiber sphagnum (the dry NZ stuff) or leave it as the long strands?

I'm using Olivia's Cloning Gel this time to dip the cut ends and I always pack them in the pots tightly so they don't wobble while rooting. Would they get a better oxygen to water ratio with the long uncut strands?

I already did some cuttings (just to get into the terrarium) but I was thinking about this before I do more.

Thanks for your time!

I've never used gel. I have had less success if I pack the LFS in very tightly rather than just a decently filled pot (they seem more likely to rot if packed really really tight) .
Good to see yah!

Thanks for the reply Andy!

Yeah this is my first time using the gel as well, I'd just had poor luck the last time or two I did cuttings so I thought I would give the gel a try since I saw it tends to get good reviews. It's actually pretty gross looking stuff, kinda like someone with a cold horked up a bunch of brown mucus into the jar! :-O

Hmm maybe I'd been potting the past cuttings too tightly, I just don't like them to wiggle and wooble when I move them.

Do you have any live Sphagnum? That would be a better bet. Personally, I use perlite since it's easier to maintain the right moisture level for rooting. compared to LFS.

The live Sphagnum has worked very well for me. Maybe the issue is moving them around to much ? I lightly wrap the cutting in moss, stuff em in a pot, water until it drains, put it in a bag, mist it heavy, close the bag, and look back at them in a month or so....never touch em until I see new growth.

I got all the cuttings done, maybe 100 cuttings total and a few basals that I left with their roots so they should establish well.
Neps are in uncut LFS not packed too tightly.

Now I have to build another 2 ft x 4 ft x 2 ft enclosure for any new plants since this one is basically packed tight!

nep_cuttings_2017.jpg

N. belii x northiana (like a mini-N. northiana)
N. belii x thorelii x aristolochioides
N. boschiana (Female, SG)
N. boschiana (unknown sex, SG)
N. thorelii x aristolochioides (Male)
N. "thorelii" Clone D from EP

The other rooting plants are: Monstera adansonii, unknown Philodendrons and mini Alocasias that I picked up from my uncles house after he died at the end of last year.

I meant to reply earlier, but I was busy.
PS- where Tf you been swords? long time no see

So I bought a bottle of this stuff years ago.
The guy at the grow shop said "If you want to plant a forest"
He was right, because ive never had a problem rooting things with it.

gp886_clonex_small_gel_web.jpg

I like chopped sphagnum. the chopped stuff regrows more even, and it looks better. the long strands are a mess and look ugly in my opinion. also
makes for a more solid medium base.

now, when I got my first nepenthes cutting, I was instructed to put on rooting formula, then plant the cutting like normal.
then, go find a bread tie. one of those bendy ones. the wire wrapped in plastic/cardboard.
Bend it into a V shape.
then, stake down your cutting at the base of the leaves, pushing the upside down V-clip into the soil.
this will hold the cutting securely.
then wait 2-3 months

Hey Nem, cool glad you have had success with using gel.

I ordered Olivia's but they accidentally sent me Rootech clone gel and then they sent the right stuff so I have both but I didn't try the Rootech stuff. The warnings on it sorta scared me. Supposedly the Rootech is the strongest gel there is but it also says not for food plants which makes me think it might be too strong for Neps.

lol the warnings on clonex is pretty extreme too.
I wouldnt be too worried.

Back