What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP PLEASE! what's wrong?

• Thread starter sevenariez
  • Start date
I bought two nepenthes recently, I've been told that they are nepenthes ventrata, they are still small, I'm getting concerned because some of the leaves and pitchers are turning brownish, is it normal? I place them outdoor as I have no space to put them indoor, is it ok? I live in auckland new zealand, winter time has passed here, the temperature is rising up but it is still pretty cold at night, the day time temperature is around 18 to 24c, and night time temperature is around 15 to 9c, could the cold snap at night be the reason?? I water them three times a week and I make sure that the moss is always moist, they get around 3 hours of sunlight on sunny day at 50% shaded area, the rainfall frequency in Auckland is high, it's rare to get sunny days here. Appreciate comments from experts out there, thank you so much!

IMG_5841.jpg

IMG_5842.jpg

It's normal to see pitchers die off when you first get a plant. As a plant moves from the nursery to your home its growing conditions are going to change significantly and pitchers are the first thing to go in this situation. This is fine though, as the plant will adjust and produce pitchers on its new leaves.

The first important thing to note is your plants are not ventrata, at all. More likely, considering the leaf shape and the fact that they're starting to bronze (a sign of good lighting, not an unhealthy plant) you have N. 'Miranda, which is going to get a lot larger with more colorful pitchers. However, 9C/48F is definitely below the temperature range where it's going to be happy, as while it can tolerate such conditions for a time it will slow down severely in growth, likely not pitcher as much or with pitchers as large as they should be, and if it gets any colder you risk seeing cold burn. If temperatures are warming, not as much of an issue, but will be something you will have to deal with next winter season.

hcarlton said:
The first important thing to note is your plants are not ventrata, at all. More likely, considering the leaf shape and the fact that they're starting to bronze (a sign of good lighting, not an unhealthy plant) you have N. 'Miranda, which is going to get a lot larger with more colorful pitchers.

I back up hcarlton on that. Here's some comparison pics.
N. Miranda
600px-Nepenthaceae_-_Nepenthes_x_miranda.JPG

N. Ventrata
600px-Pitcher_Plant_%28Nepenthes_%C3%97_ventrata%29.jpg

N. ventrata has much pointier leaves than N miranda. I wish I had N miranda instead of ventrata tbh. It'll do great under the right care! :D

N. Miranda

N. Ventrata

N. ventrata has much pointier leaves than N miranda. I wish I had N miranda instead of ventrata tbh. It'll do great under the right care! :D

Thanks for the input, maybe because they are still small, it's hard to tell what type of nepenthes they are :)

N. Miranda

N. Ventrata

The first important thing to note is your plants are not ventrata, at all. More likely, considering the leaf shape and the fact that they're starting to bronze (a sign of good lighting, not an unhealthy plant) you have N. 'Miranda, which is going to get a lot larger with more colorful pitchers. However, 9C/48F is definitely below the temperature range where it's going to be happy, as while it can tolerate such conditions for a time it will slow down severely in growth, likely not pitcher as much or with pitchers as large as they should be, and if it gets any colder you risk seeing cold burn. If temperatures are warming, not as much of an issue, but will be something you will have to deal with next winter season.

Appreciate your comments hcarlton :)

Back