What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner questions

• Thread starter Fresh Hex
  • Start date
I've only just started growing CPs and I'm interested in a Nepenthes. I have a growlight setup indoors in a room that stays between 72 and 82 degrees. Space is somewhat limited as well so the plant would probably be trimmed back regularly.

Is there a species or hybrid that would do okay in that kind of environment?

I've only just started growing CPs and I'm interested in a Nepenthes. I have a growlight setup indoors in a room that stays between 72 and 82 degrees. Space is somewhat limited as well so the plant would probably be trimmed back regularly.

Is there a species or hybrid that would do okay in that kind of environment?

I have a Nepenthes 'Lady Luck' AKA 'Bloody Mary'.
It is a commercial hybrid between N. ampullaria and N. ventricosa.
It's comfortable under household conditions and it stays compact and manageable, so far.

The first photo was taken in May, 2016.
The second was taken today.
He's looking a little ratty this time of year because temperatures are varying between 48 Deg F and 72 Deg F in my basement growing area.

Good growing,
Mike

Nep Lady Luck 001.jpg

DSC07575.jpg

Depending on how much light your set up gets there are a bunch of nepenthes that could grow there, at least while they're young. To start look at species like ventricosa, maxima, and sanguinea and their hybrids. Those are a good place to start and are more forgiving than many other nepenthes.

I have a Nepenthes 'Lady Luck' AKA 'Bloody Mary'.
It is a commercial hybrid between N. ampullaria and N. ventricosa.
It's comfortable under household conditions and it stays compact and manageable, so far.

The first photo was taken in May, 2016.
The second was taken today.
He's looking a little ratty this time of year because temperatures are varying between 48 Deg F and 72 Deg F in my basement growing area.

Good growing,
Mike

View attachment 3920

View attachment 3921

Very nice. I particularly like the red. Will it get much larger than that?

Depending on how much light your set up gets there are a bunch of nepenthes that could grow there, at least while they're young. To start look at species like ventricosa, maxima, and sanguinea and their hybrids. Those are a good place to start and are more forgiving than many other nepenthes.

My light setup will probably be increased quite a bit as I get more into the hobby. Are there certain varieties that stay on the smaller side?

Very nice. I particularly like the red. Will it get much larger than that?

I've had mine for almost 2 years and it hasn't gotten too big, so far.

It is putting out a couple of basal or side shoots.

It looks like it will get thick and bushy instead on going vine-like.

It's a nice plant for a Nep noob like me.

Good growing,
Mike

Back