What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Root Rot - Opinions

• Thread starter kruegersc4
  • Start date
Hey all,

I recently had a Cephalotus that basically died from the growth points, where the leaves started blackening from the growth point outward, and getting loose and leathery before turning black. Now, a young N. Ephippiata relatively close to this Cephalotus seems to be suffering the same fate, with the leaves blackening from the base of the stem onto the leaves. The rest of my highland nepenthes are growing quite well.

I’m not sure if their proximity is a coincidence. I have recently used both Neem Oil to stop some mites on another plant nearby and have used a little bit of Maxi fertilizer if that might have affected them. Or could it be something contagious? Is there anything I should do to prevent any more plants from suffering the same fate, such as using fungicide (and any recommendations on what type to use if so)?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I recently had a Cephalotus that basically died from the growth points, where the leaves started blackening from the growth point outward, and getting loose and leathery before turning black. Now, a young N. Ephippiata relatively close to this Cephalotus seems to be suffering the same fate, with the leaves blackening from the base of the stem onto the leaves. The rest of my highland nepenthes are growing quite well.

I’m not sure if their proximity is a coincidence. I have recently used both Neem Oil to stop some mites on another plant nearby and have used a little bit of Maxi fertilizer if that might have affected them. Or could it be something contagious? Is there anything I should do to prevent any more plants from suffering the same fate, such as using fungicide (and any recommendations on what type to use if so)?

Thanks!

It could be an algal issue, below the compost; or "noble rot" -- Botrytis, in particular, with the Cephalotus. I have avoided MaxSea for years. Some swear by it; but I only got nasty algal blooms for my trouble -- and lost a few plants, due to its use. I would avoid any heavy fungicide use, while plants are already stressed . . .

Not seen a picture, but once when I thought my nepenthes (ventrata) was rotting at the growing tip (new leaves were getting black and all twisted), it turned out that the issue was a lack of water - I hadn't repotted the media when I got the plants (two in a smallish pot), and they were also growing basals. When I unpotted it, turned out that the pot had a false bottom and some two plants and seven basals were growing in a 6-ish inch diameter pot with just two inches of media. No wonder they were not getting enough water even though I was watering regularly for what I thought was appropriate for the pot (from the outside). I fixed that and potted them up with more space, separating the two plants and their attached basals into pots with REAL media all through, and the next leaves started to come back normal. Like a miracle.

It may not be the case with your plant, but it may be worth seeing if the media is too dry or the plant is root bound or something. Sometimes if media gets too dry, water can just run throught he pot, but not wet it properly. If you suspect that is happening, you can stand it in some water for a few hours for the media to hydrate properly.

Another thing that occurs to me is increasing air circulation if it is poor.

Don't know about the fertilizer. Not used MaxSea, but I am overall wary about fertilizers and tend to be very conservative if using them. Won't harm to rinse the media thoroughly with plenty of pure water. Don't know about Cephalotus either. Not seen neem harm neps unless you apply very liberally and stand the plant in the sun - but that won't be progressive damage. It will happen at once - of sorts.

Also, if the tip is definitely dead, you may want to amputate it and save the rest of the plant from the spread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I don't think the rot was from lack of water or getting root bound as the plant was very small and is watered by hand when necessary and with a misting system, keeping the soil quite moist. The most I could do was take leaf cuttings of the outer, still green sections of the leaves, which I have heard has never worked for anyone with Nepenthes, but at least gives me a less than zero (maybe) chance of continuing the gene line.

Back