User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long before seed grown nepenthes plants grow bigger/adultish pitchers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long before seed grown nepenthes plants grow bigger/adultish pitchers

Planning to grow some nepenthes from seed. I know they take a long time to grow, but was wondering about the juvenile pitchers - how long do the plants make them? When do they start making bigger ones? Getting color, size, some features that make them look less like any other nepenthes seedling and more of a young version of themselves... I know it will vary from plant to plant and highland/lowland + growing conditions, etc - more interested in your observations with your plants.

Mostly looking for when they stop making the green pitchers that look like every other nepenthes seedling and start showing *some* character - even if not fully adult pitchers.

I've seen many seedling pics with the newly germinated seedlings with the tiny green blob juvenile pitchers and seen many seedling photos with more defined leaves and pitchers, even if not adult ones. But there is no way to make out how long it takes for the pitchers to start showing some character. Yes, I really checked all available forums and blogs and finding nothing, finally got around to asking for myself.

Yeah. Not famous for patience and planning to grow nepenthes from seed

The seeds aren't even shipped yet and I've started a thread asking for when I see something interesting
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends a lot on the species I suppose. For slower highland plants It would probably be at least a year or two before you saw pitchers with many mature features. I have heard that lowland species and hybrids tend to grow faster, so you could also expect to see mature pitchers more quickly too, maybe within a year of germination. What kind of seed did you order?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants do vary a bit by species; whether they're highland or lowland; some pissant clone; and through varying cultivation practices. These plants are a bit older than six months and putting on color . . .

Yes, I plan to post all photographs upside down in 2018, for your viewing pleasure . . .

Nepenthes sp. 30 January
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How long before seed grown nepenthes plants grow bigger/adultish pitchers-img_1363-jpg  
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my sample size of n = 1, I'd say it took a year. But as BigBella notes, it's very dependent on several factors.

Speaking of...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Yes, I plan to post all photographs upside down in 2018, for your viewing pleasure . . .
    Those of us in the southern hemisphere thank you for your consideration.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The plants do vary a bit by species; whether they're highland or lowland; some pissant clone; and through varying cultivation practices. These plants are a bit older than six months and putting on color . . .

Nepenthes sp. 30 January
    I'd be happy to stand on my head and watch the plants themselves upside down if they grew this nice in six months
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Depends a lot on the species I suppose. For slower highland plants It would probably be at least a year or two before you saw pitchers with many mature features. I have heard that lowland species and hybrids tend to grow faster, so you could also expect to see mature pitchers more quickly too, maybe within a year of germination. What kind of seed did you order?
    merriliana, rafflesiana, naga, sanguinea, hemsleyana, mirabilis var echinostoma, albomarginata red, northiana and veitchii 🙈

Several lowlanders, some not...

Hopefully the sheer number of them will keep me too busy to get impatient

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidyut View Post
    merriliana, rafflesiana, naga, sanguinea, hemsleyana, mirabilis var echinostoma, albomarginata red, northiana and veitchii 🙈

Several lowlanders, some not...

Hopefully the sheer number of them will keep me too busy to get impatient
    The only one of those I have grown from seed is rafflesiana and it took about 18 months under mostly substandard conditions to get some interesting pitchers.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of those are not commonly produced in cultivation...dare I ask what the source was? I know very few N. naga at least have flowered in cultivation and don't believe many people have produced seeds, let alone sold them.
    The majority of Nepenthes won't produce pitchers with mature characteristics for at least 1-3 years, and highlanders like naga will be at least on the longer end of that if not more. Seedling stage is generally the slowest for many and they pick up only after starting to mature.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast