What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes hookeriana problem

• Thread starter Scuipici
  • Start date
during winter i've noticed that some nepenthes start to have some problem, especially since i keep them on windowsill until i can build a proper greenhouse. The leafs start to go brown on the edge and even the new growth has that, so i assume is not old age. I've had an nepenthes ampullaria and it did great until winter times, then the browning of the edge happen and then leaf by leaf went away while the new growth couldn't keep up. It seems to be a slow process, it took N. ampullaria about 2-3 months before it died completely. Is this some sort of virus or fungi related? I know this hybrid is an intermediate or maybe it loves warm temperatures more than other intermediates and my windowsill gets too cold for it?

photos of nepenthes hookeriana - https://imgur.com/a/zWwFm

Last edited:
N. ampullaria, rafflesiana, and their hybrid hookeriana are strictly lowland plants, not intermediates (unless you end up with the rare "highland" ampullaria which is still more intermediate than anything) and they hate low humidity and cold temperatures. If they are not given temperatures that exceed 75 F during the day and remain above 60 F at night they will decline until they die eventually. That looks like leaf burn which can be caused by low humidity and/or cold temperatures.

N. ampullaria, rafflesiana, and their hybrid hookeriana are strictly lowland plants, not intermediates (unless you end up with the rare "highland" ampullaria which is still more intermediate than anything) and they hate low humidity and cold temperatures. If they are not given temperatures that exceed 75 F during the day and remain above 60 F at night they will decline until they die eventually. That looks like leaf burn which can be caused by low humidity and/or cold temperatures.

Thank you. I thought this hybrid was intermediate, now it makes sense why it started declining.

Agreed that heat was probably your issue. Might be worth making a small enclosure to hold your plant during the winter months and move it out when the weather warms up enough. I've also heard that be's new clone of hokkeriana is capable of being grown as an intermediate.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

N. x hookeriana should be perfectly capable of being grown intermediate, though it does better lowland. I grew mine at household conditions for the better part of a year, as low as 62F, without any issues though I wouldn't want to try much lower.

Back