Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is too old?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acro View Post
    I'd still grow them out to see what they are. Might be something interesting!

Dear Acro-san,

Konnichiwa!

Thank you very much for your reply! The seeds/seedlings in my photos are definitely Nepenthes.

Hcarlton-san will take a lesson from this thread in the very near future.

Kind regards from the Far East

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite all of the Nepenthes seeds I have sprouted before, I have never seen a single one look like any of these as they emerged, so while maybe there is a very small chance, I doubt I will be shocked by the results of this.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An odd thing just occurred to me: I don't actually see any seeds in any of these pictures, just emerging seedlings. Did you cover the seeds up?

In any case, I happen to have a few pictures of germinating Nepenthes seeds handy. You can see that among other things these are much smaller, the cotyledons are flat and green, and the seed coat is still present on all of them. The first one shows the size in comparison to a typical piece of Sphagnum quite well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lechenaultia View Post
    Konnichiwa!

First of all, I am not a Nepenthes enthusiast, but I like Nepenthes. I am quite unfamiliar with Nepenthes. In fact, I have been hardly growing Nepenthes in greenhouse.
    Thank you very much for the reply. I must say the seeds/seedlings are definitely Nepenthes. I recommend you to edit your reply before I quote your reply.
    The seeds/seedlings in my photos are definitely Nepenthes.

Hcarlton-san will take a lesson from this thread in the very near future.
    How stubborn, arrogant, and blind can a single person be? A quick google search would prove your wrong, yet, despite admitting to being unfamiliar with the genus, for some reason you not only still think that you're right, but you think that you can teach others what is right?

Next time I recommend being a bit more careful ( having some common sense would also help). Only person that will "take a lesson from this thread in the very near future" will be you, Lechenaultia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    An odd thing just occurred to me: I don't actually see any seeds in any of these pictures, just emerging seedlings. Did you cover the seeds up?

In any case, I happen to have a few pictures of germinating Nepenthes seeds handy. You can see that among other things these are much smaller, the cotyledons are flat and green, and the seed coat is still present on all of them. The first one shows the size in comparison to a typical piece of Sphagnum quite well.

Dear Nimbulan-san,

Konnichiwa!

You are the second person, who noticed it. The first person was Manders-san in UKcpforum. You see the actual seeds /seedlings of Nepenthes. You don't see the seed husks of Nepenthes. You are the man!!!

Kind regards from the Far East
    P.S. The title of this thread is "How old is too old?"
    neither "ID please" nor "How to sow the Nepenthes seed"
    So reply about "How old is too old?"
    Last edited by Lechenaultia; 03-05-2018 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I correct in saying Nepenthes are a dicotyledon? As per your pictures, there is only one cotyledon emerging, which makes it a monocotyledon. Also, there are no wings present on the seed I see?

Everything I see, and what @hcarlton and @nimbulan also observe, show that without a doubt these are not Nepenthes seed of any species.

@Acro, interesting thought! From what I have seen at https://www.nordgen.org/sgsv/index.p...gsv_by_species

It appears no carnivorous species are stored in the vault unfortunately

I was just talking with some people the other day, perhaps to extend the shelf life of Nepenthes seed, humidity is needed?
    Last edited by craigam; 03-05-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigam View Post
    Also, there are no wings present on the seed I see?
    I removed the seed husk.
    Thus You see the actual seeds /seedlings of Nepenthes. You don't see the seed husks of Nepenthes.
    Last edited by Lechenaultia; 03-05-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update 01
    I took them on March 6 in 2018
    How old is too old?-20180306_002936-jpg
    How old is too old?-20180306_003000-jpg
    How old is too old?-20180306_003017-jpg
    How old is too old?-p3060007copy-jpg

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast