Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is too old?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear N_CloudySkies-san,
    Konnichiwa!
    Domo Arigatou Gozaimasu! (Thank you very much!)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_CloudySkies View Post
    I think viability among most all nepenthes seeds is a lot longer than what we may think and have/may read.
    This is the theme of this thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N_CloudySkies View Post
    That would be a very good thing for world-wide seed banks and preservation efforts for nepenthes? Just really positive.
    exactly
    We may encounter the same problem that zoos have already had. I wish that skilled botanists, skilled nurseries and skilled growers would have the concern about this matter. As I already wrote, I am quite unfamiliar with Nepenthes. I have no Nepenthes plant in any of my greenhouses. just in the incubation room or on a windowsill.

My thought for the moment,
    1: the seeds should be high quality in the first place.
    2: cold storage is necessary.
    3: keep or control the seed moisture content (IMPORTANT)
    4: inhibit propagation of bacteria and fungus
    5: something I have no idea

Thank you very much again!!!

Kind regards from the Far East

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigam View Post
    Am I correct in saying Nepenthes are a dicotyledon? As per your pictures, there is only one cotyledon emerging, which makes it a monocotyledon. Also, there are no wings present on the seed I see?

Everything I see, and what @hcarlton and @nimbulan also observe, show that without a doubt these are not Nepenthes seed of any species.

@Acro, interesting thought! From what I have seen at https://www.nordgen.org/sgsv/index.p...gsv_by_species

It appears no carnivorous species are stored in the vault unfortunately

I was just talking with some people the other day, perhaps to extend the shelf life of Nepenthes seed, humidity is needed?
    I'm curious, what kind of Nepenthes species or other cp genus did you grow from seeds?
    Considering the plant kingdom, I do not have much experience with sowing seed. Almost species (genus) I sowed, the root emerging first, except Utricularia humboldtii (seeds from Chiaki Shibata-sensei: IPS) and Utricularia nelumbifolia (seeds from Loyd Wix-san: the international Pinguicula Study Group). It reminds me of when Fernando(R.L.)-san and I observed U. humboldtii seedling (just after popping out from its transparent seed coat), while sitting down and relaxing in kotatu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFQu0Gh97OA) a couple of decades ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had experience in germinating a variety of Nepenthes and Drosera. Please give us an update on this in a month, I'm really curious as to how they'll look!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigam View Post
    Please give us an update on this in a month, I'm really curious as to how they'll look!
    Dear Craigam-san,
    Konnichiwa!
    a month?
    more often! Please expect, and enjoy observing them with me.
    Kind regards from the Far East

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old is too old?-img_1508-jpgHow old is too old?-img_1509-jpg

Just some recently germinated lowland Nepenthes here, the first tiny pitcher should show up real soon after the inital germination. Sorry for the image quality...
    Last edited by Jasonh; 03-20-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonh View Post

Just some recently germinated lowland Nepenthes here, the first tiny pitcher should show up real soon after the inital germination. Sorry for the image quality...
    Very nice! Any details? How old were the seeds? When were they sown? When did they sprout? How old are they now? And what are they?
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Very nice! Any details? How old were the seeds? When were they sown? When did they sprout? How old are they now? And what are they?
    Lets see... these little guys are supposed to be N. Suratensis according to the seller in Thailand, and seeds are from his own plants. Seeds were harvested on Jan. 3 2018 and sowed sometime around the end of January. Germination didn't really start before March, however after I placed the pot in a sealed 90+ temp container around March 2, 15+ seedlings popped up in the following week... I am not sure if it was the temperature (70 vs 90+) change or just the period of time (3-5 weeks from the seller's own experience) after they were sowed that triggered the germination... For now out of 100+ seeds 40+ have germinated, and hopefully more to come. I do suspect that a lot of the seeds lost their viability during the shipment because of the drop in temperature (Its like 85+ permanently in Thailand...) and since N. Suratensis is considered a "ultra lowlander" (together with another species with a bad reputation germinating wise: N. bicalcarata ), 40% isn't that bad.

I have read some growers attempt to germinate highland species in lowland condition, even grow the highland seedlings with high temp with great success.

Ah, right, the seeds are sowed on pure peat 3-4 inches under 2x32w T8 bulbs, heat is provided by a 100w aquarium heater.
    Last edited by Jasonh; 03-20-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast