0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Jasonh-san,
    Konnichiwa!
    Nice photos and great info!
    May I ask you a couple of questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonh View Post
    I do suspect that a lot of the seeds lost their viability during the shipment because of the drop in temperature (Its like 85+ permanently in Thailand...) and since N. Suratensis is considered a "ultra lowlander"
    1: Is it a major opinion in U.S.A.?
    2: Did you make a careful selection before sowing (sort fine seeds out with care (the stereoscopic microscope ))? Or sowed all seeds you received?
    Thank you very much in advance.
    Kind regards from the Far East

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lechenaultia View Post
    Dear Jasonh-san,
    Konnichiwa!
    Nice photos and great info!
    May I ask you a couple of questions?

1: Is it a major opinion in U.S.A.?
    2: Did you make a careful selection before sowing (sort fine seeds out with care (the stereoscopic microscope ))? Or sowed all seeds you received?
    Thank you very much in advance.
    Greetings Lechenaultia,

This is my very first attempt to germinate nepenthes, so don't take anything I said for granted

From what I have read from posts and articles, there seems to be some points of view that are more or less accepted by many:
    - Shelf lives of different nepenthes species seeds are diverse
    - Highlanders and hybrids can retain their viability for some time, 1+ year in some cases if stored right.
    - Lowlanders might break your heart.
    - Shelf lives of the seeds of the same species from different locations may vary, the warmer the original location the shorter the shelf life.
    - Highlanders take longer to germinate.

I actually just sowed all the seeds without sorting. Not doing in-vitro or anything.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been suspecting lately that the low temperatures the seeds are exposed to during international transit can have a significant impact on seed viability. I don't have enough data yet to draw any conclusions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    I've been suspecting lately that the low temperatures the seeds are exposed to during international transit can have a significant impact on seed viability. I don't have enough data yet to draw any conclusions.
    Could be a solid point, however it's hard to find a reputable supplier already... with that many variables and the assumed shelf life factor, the best bet is to experiment locally with a consistent supply of seeds and simulate with refrigerator etc. But again, who would like to waste a batch of fresh seeds to just prove that low temp experienced during international transit would reduce the germination rate (and lose a few buyers probably) when they can just sell them to some unwitting customers?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add more difficulty to that, the temperatures that mail experiences during transit varies quite widely. There's no way to know without including electronics with the seeds to track the environmental conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for going off topic a bit, but just a random thought: if lowland nepenthes seeds do have an extremely short shelf life as claimed, why not transitting them with the same method as transitting pygmy drosera gemmae: wrap the seeds with wet tissue paper. I do realize a fundamental difference between seeds and modified leaves, however since the germination shouldn't take place at least a few weeks after regular sowing (the lower-than-favorable but not freezing temperature during shipment should extend the time by a bit?), could it be a way to retain some viability of the seeds? You can see the D. Roseana gemmae already started developing some roots during the 3 week shipment.
    How old is too old?-img_1343-jpg
    Last edited by Jasonh; 03-21-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Jasonh-san,
    Konnichiwa!
    Thank you very much.
    Please see attached photos.
    How old is too old?-20180322_210626-jpg
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/795/40...bfaec24b_o.jpg
    How old is too old?-20180322_210626-2-jpg
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4786/4...7967776a_o.jpg
    Nepenthes suratensis seeds

Your seeds and my seeds look the same? Your previous post reminded me of the N. suratensis seeds that I stored in refrigerator, 8 months old. I made a careful selection in very end of July 2017. I was able to pick only 31 seeds out. The qualities look various. I asked myself a question:"Should I sow them in vitro or a plastic container?" Then, I had totally forgotten it.
    Well, what shall I do.... a bit small amount to do something... 8 months old......

Please see attached photos.
    How old is too old?-20180322_210626-3-jpg
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4776/2...22bb7639_o.jpg
    How old is too old?-20180322_210627-jpg
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/784/26...5d597baf_o.jpg
    Nepenthes seeds: ampullaria, suratensis, northiana and eymae

N. suratensis seed resembles, if anything, N. northiana seed.

Last edited by Lechenaultia; 03-22-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Lechenaultia,

8 months? I don't know, maybe just sow it and hope for the best? Maybe treat the seeds with some GA3 solution? Anyways, here is the seeds I recieved months ago. By no means could I identify if the seeds are the right species, so...
    How old is too old?-img_1519-jpg

You got quite a seed collection, nice macro photography

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast