What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I Grow Neps In the DFW region?

• Thread starter iMango
  • Start date
Hello.
I would like to know if it would be possible at all to grow Neps in DFW. I don't have a windowsill that has enough sun and I was thinking of a greenhouse but the temperature is so extreme here. I used to have a terrarium but fr some reason the plant light tht I had for them was not strong enough, even though I had 2 of them.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Sarrs in Texas

Sure, why not?

Where you are, I think it tends to stay pretty humid year round, or at least in most of the summer, right? I am in San Antonio, and here in late summer, it gets hella hot, and dry, and correspondingly we get quite low humidity. I used to have many Sarrs, and now I am down to about three hangers-on. Low humidity will be a challenge, and will get you deformed pitchers. You can limit that by growing in tall plastic storage containers, but if you don't drill them to your max water level, you will get them overfilled and sometimes lose plants to laziness in draining excess water. Where I am, there is not really enough chilling weather (sometimes) so dormancy may or may not be enough for them. In my experience. If you can find him, Baylor Guy is near here, and does well with them. Maybe he could give you some tips. Me, I said Uncle some time ago. When what I have is gone, I will seek no replacements. Everybody has something that should be easy to grow, but success seems elusive. Just pick what works for you and sally forth. You might want to consider aquatics. Kinda hard for something to get dehydrated when it is growing in water.

Whoa, I thought I read Sarrs! Same thing, sort of, the climate will ding you. If you grow outside. Summer is too hot, winter is too cold, and spring and fall are just about right. Finding a place indoors when it dips below 50F (assuming lowlanders) and with enough light to keep them happy will be a challenge. Better if you have a greenhouse, or a dedicated setup, maybe a large re-purposed aquarium. Consider led lights. Also, consider the possibility of growing Drosophyllum outside. I made a couple of stabs at it, and finally have a happy plant that is flowering in it's second year. You might have to pull it inside in case of light to hard frost, but most of the time it can stay outside.

Last edited:
Back