Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe crazy tissue culture experiment with Nepenthes seeds

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been my experience that fungus will only grow on non-viable seeds. I've never seen it spread from those seeds either. It's normal to happen to a few after a week or two, but hopefully that won't happen to too many of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    It's been my experience that fungus will only grow on non-viable seeds. I've never seen it spread from those seeds either. It's normal to happen to a few after a week or two, but hopefully that won't happen to too many of them.
    Oh! ok. This is very reassuring. Thank you! You are right in the sense it doesn't appear to be infecting all seeds - there are completely untouched seeds right next to ones fully covered - and it has appeared after a week has passed. So it is ok to do nothing? Or still a good idea to at least keep an eye and remove any infected seeds?
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidyut View Post
    Oh! ok. This is very reassuring. Thank you! You are right in the sense it doesn't appear to be infecting all seeds - there are completely untouched seeds right next to ones fully covered - and it has appeared after a week has passed. So it is ok to do nothing? Or still a good idea to at least keep an eye and remove any infected seeds?
    Yeah I usually don't bother doing anything when that happens, because it doesn't seem to matter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen viable and non-viable seed succumb to fungal infestation over the years; and it is reckless to risk the remaining culture. Subculture any flask that shows contamination. You'll be sorry otherwise . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I have seen viable and non-viable seed succumb to fungal infestation over the years; and it is reckless to risk the remaining culture. Subculture any flask that shows contamination. You'll be sorry otherwise . . .
    Pretty sure Nimbulan was referring to seeds planted in vivo, not in vitro.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    Pretty sure Nimbulan was referring to seeds planted in vivo, not in vitro.
    Yes. We were discussing fungus growing on the leftover seeds she sowed on normal media.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. We were discussing fungus growing on the leftover seeds she sowed on normal media.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    BigBella, these are seeds sowed on the same day on sphagnum. The in vitro ones are now almost two weeks in the container and there is neither fungus nor germination.

I mentioned it here, because the seeds would be a sort of "control" I suppose, for germination, but instead of the contamination I was expecting in vitro, I have seeds on sphagnum getting contaminated (never happened before this), while my clumsy tissue culture attempt seems to be fine so far - all 24 containers!

Edit: Since you have done extensive TC, do you know if I can consider my cultures to be reasonably sterile and safe from contamination if nothing has shown up in 13 days? Also, should I worry about germination also resulting in contamination from inside the seed? Does that sort of a thing happen? (I am asking in the sense of whether I should be ready to sub culture at a moment's notice even now or I can breathe relatively easy...)
    Last edited by Vidyut; 05-08-2018 at 02:48 AM.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast