Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Maybe crazy tissue culture experiment with Nepenthes seeds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some more seeds I'd set aside. I'll do another batch of TC tonight and this time I'll keep them in the dark for a week or so like @Big Bella suggested. Other than these seeds - I guess it is too late to keep these in the dark now.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: fail

I forgot about the seeds for a long time and somehow the media in the containers dried out! It still looked transparent, so I couldn't make out from looking, but when I picked them, the media seemed more solid than I expected and I looked more closely...

I think the containers may be slightly permeable or allowing humidity to escape or something. There was no sign of contamination (except for one container which I had dropped) all through, so nothing seems to have got in. I suppose if I had spotted the problem early enough, I could have added water or put them in fresh media or something, but by the time I noticed the problem, the media had already caked and shrunk and separated slightly from the walls of the container...

Edit: It wasn't dry, but it was quite thick and I assume must have dehydrated the seeds - which hadn't germinated. After I threw away everything, I regretted it thinking that I could have at least experimented further with one or two of them...

But the lack of contamination is promising. I am going to try this again with better containers.
    Last edited by Vidyut; 03-27-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Strikes me as the right attitude. As long as you learn useful things you succeed. And as long as you continue to try you will succeed fully.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try it with something else first. Thereís no point using seeds that usually take 3 months to germinate because itís 3 months wasted if your media kills the seeds. Use something like lettuce seeds, get the media dialed in, then sprout the nepenthes, and youíll make TC history

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper2 View Post
    Try it with something else first. There’s no point using seeds that usually take 3 months to germinate because it’s 3 months wasted if your media kills the seeds. Use something like lettuce seeds, get the media dialed in, then sprout the nepenthes, and you’ll make TC history
    This is actually a good idea! I'd been busy for a while with son's health, etc. Finally getting a bit of time. I'll try doing this soon, and if it works well, will try with nepenthes seeds again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234