What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mealy bugs on ventricosa solutions?

Could i get the mealy bugs to move to a different plant that is more suitable for them that i dont care about or would theyremain on my plant too and just spread my solution usually is 70% alcohol hydrogen peroxide water and
Highly concentrated peppermint oil i wanted to try something else this time

Why not use a systemic?

Or

There's always the old stand by

6fe78832e22d1d2e56c625f1e632c88f.jpg

Don't try to get them to move to a different plant, if any leave it'll just increase the total population size.

If you don't want to use a systemic pesticide, the usual solutions are neemoil and insecticidal soap. It also helps to spray all visible mealybugs off, though that won't be enough by itself.

Neem may not affect mealys to the extent desired due to their waxy coating and soaps should be avoided around carnivores because they are toxic. Plus, eggs will not be affected by any topical spray. A systemic is, IMO, the better way to go, and brands like the Bayer 3-in-1 or orthene are generally highly effective.

Sorry for late response, I used my solution 50% water 20 peppermint oil 10 alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol, lol 10% 70% alcohol) 15 hydrogen peroxide. I made sure that I had a fine mister and gassed it, before I did this I took a mealy bug and put it in a chamber and sprayed the air with my solution it had died within an hour, I suspect that the air being filled with peppermint oil and alcohol had suffocated it but I am technically not old enough to observe properly, but there were repercussions my plants leaves had bent become papery lost it's pitchers looked depressing and stopped growing for about a week, being the fool I am I didn't repot it because all I had was peat, so I thoroughly rinsed the pot, the creatures never appeared again until my grandfather brought over some infected succulents luckily as far as I could tell there were only a few and I killed them by hand, THEN they never appeared again my plant has since then recovered and has about an 8 inch leafspan.

Back