What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes pitchers turning black

• Thread starter skarim
  • Start date
Hi everyone,

I am a total newbie here. I just got some plants in the mail several weeks ago. They are sitting in a SW facing windowsill.

I've notcied some of the pitchers on the Nepenthes are turning black. Is this something to worry about, or am I doing something wrong? I've read in other posts that sometimes the leaves turn black from the tip inwards as normal aging.

Thanks!IMG_1419.jpg

They don't last forever, and plants will drop pitchers when acclimating to new conditions. That it's been a few weeks and you're only now seeing pitchers starting to brown is somewhat surprising.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know

Should I just leave them, or is there any point to pruning them off?

Thanks,
Shaheen

Last edited:
It's generally recommended to let the pitcher die back most of the way, if not all the way, before cutting it off. When it does, you can cut the tendril where it emerges from the leaf (I tend to wait for the tendril to die back to that point before cutting as well.)

Back