Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is causing this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is causing this?

I have a N. Suki that's just opened a new pitcher last week and the coloring was great on it, but now it has these spots that are all mottled... What is causing this? Is it normal? Previous to these last couple months, I have only grown Ventricosa, so the speckled pitchers are all new to me.

Any insight appreciated. ❤
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is causing this?-0710181144a_hdr-jpg  
    Growing:
    Hookeriana, Suki, Ventricosa,
    Chaniana x Veitchii, Aristolochioides x Burkei <3 <3 <3

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just normal coloration. From what I've seen that hybrid can have color from a solid red to more speckled like that based on age and growing conditions. Like you've said not all species and hybrids will have a solid coloration like ventricosa does.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the brighter red patches about /₃ of the way up the pitcher?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Are you referring to the brighter red patches about /₃ of the way up the pitcher?

Yes. It's like little patches of the normal speckles that blend together almost like watercolor paint. If that makes sense.
    Growing:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually see color like that on pitchers preparing to die off in the top half, either from age or being fed too much/capturing too much prey, either due to digestive fluids exceeding the level of the digestive zone of the pitcher or the plant preventing further capture in that pitcher.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. That's why I'm surprised to see it on one that literally just opened up...

I was just thinking... Could it be from misting? I mist them like twice a day and they seem to love it, but maybe a droplet sat there and muddled the color?
    Growing:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color inside plant cells will not bleed in water, and I strongly advise against misting plants (it does not keep humidity up for long enough to make a difference, can encourage mold growth on plants or sunburn in those in strong light, as well as temperature shock from sudden changes in evaporation rate, and doesn't allow them to acclimate to your growing conditions fully). You may be increasing the liquid level inside the pitchers from the mist and causing the pitchers to die back faster thereby.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist