What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I repot?

I got a ventricosa in the mail... Two plants in one pot, by the look of it.
Its growing in dirt, though... Should I reply in sphagnum moss? Or just leave it?

I believe the "dirt" will be someones carefully formulated Nepenthes peat mix. Your description "Its growing in dirt" would intimate that it is perfectly happy in that medium.

Remember the old adage - If it's not broke don't try and fix it.

Normally I would agree, which is why I am asking.
The thing is, it looks almost as though they JUST tossed it in a pot and covered it with dirt... Several many leaves are actually buried in it. :O

I got a ventricosa in the mail... Two plants in one pot, by the look of it.
Its growing in dirt, though... Should I reply in sphagnum moss? Or just leave it?
Hmm imma need a picture to help but by your other reply yes repot it

Normally I would agree, which is why I am asking.
The thing is, it looks almost as though they JUST tossed it in a pot and covered it with dirt... Several many leaves are actually buried in it. :O

Now why didn't you say this in your first post?

PS:- it isn't dirt

Last edited:
Lol yeah should have mentioned it.
Probably also should have mentioned that it was a 24.99 'asian pitcher plant' from Amazon. I'm guessing ventricosa because it wasn't labeled, though the leaves seem rounder than my other.

I'd have posted a pic, but I already repotted them. (There were two in the pot-score!!)

I left their roots in a nice big 'dirt'ball and filled the rest of the pots with sphagmoss.

Last edited:
Though ventricosa is an occasional culprit, an unlabeled plant off of a website like Amazon is more likely to be "ventrata." Additionally, your "2" plants may very well just be two growth points on one plant (unless when you repotted it you found them to actually be separate, with separate root systems; otherwise one may just be a large basal shoot off the other). Some people claim peat moss is a decent growing medium for Nepenthes, but I strongly recommend a sphagnum mix as you put them in, as most people will have them in a higher humidity condition or a less strict watering regime that peat moss will tend to stay soggy and anaerobic in. Sphagnum, especially with perlite, pumice, bark etc. mixed in stays more open and aerated.

I bought the same plant two months ago from the same vender.

I was going to repot it also because I had the same issues but decided to leave it alone and just put it outside. I did un-burry the leaves that they covered but that's it.

It hasn't stopped pitchering since I got it, its doing great.

BTW, it is TWO plants in the pot, not one and its not potted in dirt, its sphagnum moss and perlite. Its also a Ventrata.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking it had to be something else because he leaves are rounder than my Ventricosa.

It was definitely two plants, but it definitely also didn't have any moss in it, it was black, whatever it was, and looked just like dirt.

They seem happy reported. Had a pitcher open up today on one and one noticeably inflating on the other.

Yeah, ventrata seems right.

Yes its a ventrata, I bought from the same vendor.

The soil is some kind of peat moss, when wet it looks black, like regular dirt but it isn't.

I finally re-potted mine couple days ago. What a pain. I had to use poles to zip tie the plant to because it was previously growing over the side of the pot and I wanted it to grow more upward.

This is what it looked like up until a few days ago:
C2qpQr2.jpg

Ill take pics tonight to show you what it looks like now.

Your leaves look so much longer and thinner whereas mine are more rounded. Especially on the smaller of the two plants.

Back