What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deformed Nepenthes Stalk/Pitchers

• Thread starter whagen1
  • Start date
I've been noticing over the past few weeks that since I have done a minor transplant on my N. Ventrata, that weird things have been occurring. For one, the very new leaf that was developing, when it opened, it showed a deformed blackened stub where the new stem/leaf would be developing. There is also a gelatinous white substance that is forming on some of the leaves, along with random brown spots in the middle of the leaves. My research has been pointing to either thrips, a fungus, or my worst fear, Stem rot. Along with the abnormalities in the vine, the new pitchers are highly mishaped and deformed (still functional as they have digestive fluids). I think that was just a result of the minor shock during the transplant, but it could possibly be related to whatever is ailing the the vine. Any ideas to what could be ailing my Nepenthes? I'll report and send any other phenomena if they occur. Cheers.

Repotting Details (if they help any):

The Ventrata had issues with the original pot being small and thus causing the plant to need to be watered more frequently. Also the plant was growing too big for the pot. I decided that a temporary transplant by leaving the old medium (it was fine, it just needed to retain more moisture and water) and surround it with a 1:1 Long Fibered Spaghnum and Perlite mix. I know this may trigger a few expert growers, but I used Mosser Lee as it was the only LFS I have in my area. When I do the transplant where all the medium is removed, I will be switching to a 1:1 Besgrow New Zealand LFS and Perlite mix. Knowing the minor transplant details, in my mind at least, might help in determining what is ailing the Ventrata.
cde3420c538b33578b6d2672e470f518.jpg
a7ceb9cace435465ae0de11cb7040331.jpg
f20e6ad50fcbae6c898d2894687bb6a1.jpg
a7b17d90d764b05dd061fa9870ab6425.jpg
541ec087297723424f358a48cb74c405.jpg
8c2b9f4284a634177906338c705a7e3a.jpg
97a46c4d749d95eef879a1ff678803be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd say that stress from repotting wouldn't be the cause of this. Ventratas are extremely tough to the point that you'd have to purposely damage it to get anything noticeable. Check the undersides of the leaves for damage and pests.

I also don't think this is root rot or any other sort of bacterial or fungal disease. I once left a ventrata cutting in putrid sludge with low light for over a year to see how long it would take root rot to set in, and it never did.

I'd say that stress from repotting wouldn't be the cause of this. Ventratas are extremely tough to the point that you'd have to purposely damage it to get anything noticeable. Check the undersides of the leaves for damage and pests.

I also don't think this is root rot or any other sort of bacterial or fungal disease. I once left a ventrata cutting in putrid sludge with low light for over a year to see how long it would take root rot to set in, and it never did.
I checked the undersides and found nothing. The leaf that is unfurling over the deformed part of the vine has brown cuts all over it. However, three nodes near it are trying to form basal shoots. So maybe it had some sort of damage or it just stopped the vine to form new basal shoots and vines (the Ventrata has already sent out 4 or 5 basal shoots with possibly more on the way).

I checked the undersides and found nothing. The leaf that is unfurling over the deformed part of the vine has brown cuts all over it. However, three nodes near it are trying to form basal shoots. So maybe it had some sort of damage or it just stopped the vine to form new basal shoots and vines (the Ventrata has already sent out 4 or 5 basal shoots with possibly more on the way).

It is possible if you weren't very gentle with repotting that you severely damaged the plant. If it has basals which are entirely unaffected, feel free to remove some of them and root them away from the main plant just in case.

Aphids are extremely small and often green, have you tried searching with a magnifying glass?

It is possible if you weren't very gentle with repotting that you severely damaged the plant. If it has basals which are entirely unaffected, feel free to remove some of them and root them away from the main plant just in case.

Aphids are extremely small and often green, have you tried searching with a magnifying glass?
That might be a possibility. My mom helped me with the transplant when removing the Ventrata, and she on the edges of the pot inserted a butter knife to ease in gently removing the plant. It is a possibility that it damaged the root system somehow, but the thing is, this is effecting only one part of the plant, so aphids or some other pest is highly likely as the leaf that is unfurling looks like it has been severely fed upon (I'll get pictures of the leaf).

Yesterday evening, I saw what looked like antenna moving around on one of the basal stems. I'm not sure what it was, but I am going to do a spray of Azamax (neem oil extract) just in case it is the pest in question. I will also check again with a magnifying glass to see if there is anymore pest damage and maybe even pests themselves.

Good news is there are more pitchers forming, so for now, the main part of the plant is probably fine, I might cut off the effected area on the vine just as a precaution, and let the plant form a basal shoot on one or more of the nodes. I'll keep adding updates if something comes up.

Two photos of the effected area of the vine.
fe3d3edecb4be06a6f394b4dd4189949.jpg
8e106784c53a2bdd4a77e829212c461e.jpg

Last edited:
That might be a possibility. My mom helped me with the transplant when removing the Ventrata, and she on the edges of the pot inserted a butter knife to ease in gently removing the plant. It is a possibility that it damaged the root system somehow, but the thing is, this is effecting only one part of the plant, so aphids or some other pest is highly likely as the leaf that is unfurling looks like it has been severely fed upon (I'll get pictures of the leaf).

Yesterday evening, I saw what looked like antenna moving around on one of the basal stems. I'm not sure what it was, but I am going to do a spray of Azamax (neem oil extract) just in case it is the pest in question. I will also check again with a magnifying glass to see if there is anymore pest damage and maybe even pests themselves.

Good news is there are more pitchers forming, so for now, the main part of the plant is probably fine, I might cut off the effected area on the vine just as a precaution, and let the plant form a basal shoot on one or more of the nodes. I'll keep adding updates if something comes up.

No, damage to the roots wouldn't make the main growth point look like that; only sort of physical damage that could is damage directly to the growth point. I'd conclude aphids. Neem oil would cause the adults to flee/die, but you'd have to spray it again in a week or so to make sure any individuals that hatch later don't get a chance to establish themselves. Also, it makes the plants sensitive to heat for a while, so keep that in mind. Gotta get under the leaves too.

No, damage to the roots wouldn't make the main growth point look like that; only sort of physical damage that could is damage directly to the growth point. I'd conclude aphids. Neem oil would cause the adults to flee/die, but you'd have to spray it again in a week or so to make sure any individuals that hatch later don't get a chance to establish themselves. Also, it makes the plants sensitive to heat for a while, so keep that in mind. Gotta get under the leaves too.
I will do a spray of Azamax for now during the evening hours when its cooler. I also might cut off that effected growth point to minimize the threat of any potential rot....but it might not be entirely necessary. Thanks for you help, cheers. :)
b909f1f274248869ed464a0ec2eb3d69.jpg

Another developing leaf has failed to form.
9405dec5b9623b76063a0f21d6ccf8e6.jpg

It's only been a few days since you sprayed it; it'll be a while before the plant recovers, and as I said before, after another 3 days from today you'll need to spray again. You should also change the media as well; eggs and even adults might try to hide out in it. I know you just repotted, but you don't want this stuff to return, yeah?

Last edited:
It's only been a few days since you sprayed it; it'll be a while before the plant recovers, and as I said before, after another 3 days from today you'll need to spray again. You should also change the media as well; eggs and even adults might try to hide out in it. I know you just repotted, but you don't want this stuff to return, yeah?
I'm also getting Bayer 3 in 1, alot of people recommended as pretty much an Aphid nuke. The only media I have at the moment is the Mosser Lee LFS and Horticultural Perlite. I hear alot of growers say to avoid Mosser Lee due to quality issues, so I'm going to buy some Besgrow New Zealand LFS or the Better-Gro Orchid Moss. I want to avoid these little beasties like they're the bubonic plague.

I'm going to repot the plant once it's not under so much stress due to the aphids.

I'm also getting Bayer 3 in 1, alot of people recommended as pretty much an Aphid nuke. The only media I have at the moment is the Mosser Lee LFS and Horticultural Perlite. I hear alot of growers say to avoid Mosser Lee due to quality issues, so I'm going to buy some Besgrow New Zealand LFS or the Better-Gro Orchid Moss. I want to avoid these little beasties like they're the bubonic plague.

I'm going to repot the plant once it's not under so much stress due to the aphids.

Sounds like a plan, dude.

Sounds like a plan, dude.
Thanks for your help. :) I'm a beginner, so this just a more you know moment. Just got to learn from this, take note of it, and expand this to my love of the hobby.

Back