Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deformed Nepenthes Stalk/Pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deformed Nepenthes Stalk/Pitchers

I've been noticing over the past few weeks that since I have done a minor transplant on my N. Ventrata, that weird things have been occurring. For one, the very new leaf that was developing, when it opened, it showed a deformed blackened stub where the new stem/leaf would be developing. There is also a gelatinous white substance that is forming on some of the leaves, along with random brown spots in the middle of the leaves. My research has been pointing to either thrips, a fungus, or my worst fear, Stem rot. Along with the abnormalities in the vine, the new pitchers are highly mishaped and deformed (still functional as they have digestive fluids). I think that was just a result of the minor shock during the transplant, but it could possibly be related to whatever is ailing the the vine. Any ideas to what could be ailing my Nepenthes? I'll report and send any other phenomena if they occur. Cheers.

Repotting Details (if they help any):

The Ventrata had issues with the original pot being small and thus causing the plant to need to be watered more frequently. Also the plant was growing too big for the pot. I decided that a temporary transplant by leaving the old medium (it was fine, it just needed to retain more moisture and water) and surround it with a 1:1 Long Fibered Spaghnum and Perlite mix. I know this may trigger a few expert growers, but I used Mosser Lee as it was the only LFS I have in my area. When I do the transplant where all the medium is removed, I will be switching to a 1:1 Besgrow New Zealand LFS and Perlite mix. Knowing the minor transplant details, in my mind at least, might help in determining what is ailing the Ventrata.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that stress from repotting wouldn't be the cause of this. Ventratas are extremely tough to the point that you'd have to purposely damage it to get anything noticeable. Check the undersides of the leaves for damage and pests.

I also don't think this is root rot or any other sort of bacterial or fungal disease. I once left a ventrata cutting in putrid sludge with low light for over a year to see how long it would take root rot to set in, and it never did.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    I'd say that stress from repotting wouldn't be the cause of this. Ventratas are extremely tough to the point that you'd have to purposely damage it to get anything noticeable. Check the undersides of the leaves for damage and pests.

I also don't think this is root rot or any other sort of bacterial or fungal disease. I once left a ventrata cutting in putrid sludge with low light for over a year to see how long it would take root rot to set in, and it never did.
    I checked the undersides and found nothing. The leaf that is unfurling over the deformed part of the vine has brown cuts all over it. However, three nodes near it are trying to form basal shoots. So maybe it had some sort of damage or it just stopped the vine to form new basal shoots and vines (the Ventrata has already sent out 4 or 5 basal shoots with possibly more on the way).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whagen1 View Post
    I checked the undersides and found nothing. The leaf that is unfurling over the deformed part of the vine has brown cuts all over it. However, three nodes near it are trying to form basal shoots. So maybe it had some sort of damage or it just stopped the vine to form new basal shoots and vines (the Ventrata has already sent out 4 or 5 basal shoots with possibly more on the way).

It is possible if you weren't very gentle with repotting that you severely damaged the plant. If it has basals which are entirely unaffected, feel free to remove some of them and root them away from the main plant just in case.

Aphids are extremely small and often green, have you tried searching with a magnifying glass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible if you weren't very gentle with repotting that you severely damaged the plant. If it has basals which are entirely unaffected, feel free to remove some of them and root them away from the main plant just in case.

Aphids are extremely small and often green, have you tried searching with a magnifying glass?
    That might be a possibility. My mom helped me with the transplant when removing the Ventrata, and she on the edges of the pot inserted a butter knife to ease in gently removing the plant. It is a possibility that it damaged the root system somehow, but the thing is, this is effecting only one part of the plant, so aphids or some other pest is highly likely as the leaf that is unfurling looks like it has been severely fed upon (I'll get pictures of the leaf).

Yesterday evening, I saw what looked like antenna moving around on one of the basal stems. I'm not sure what it was, but I am going to do a spray of Azamax (neem oil extract) just in case it is the pest in question. I will also check again with a magnifying glass to see if there is anymore pest damage and maybe even pests themselves.

Good news is there are more pitchers forming, so for now, the main part of the plant is probably fine, I might cut off the effected area on the vine just as a precaution, and let the plant form a basal shoot on one or more of the nodes. I'll keep adding updates if something comes up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two photos of the effected area of the vine.

Last edited by whagen1; 08-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whagen1 View Post
    That might be a possibility. My mom helped me with the transplant when removing the Ventrata, and she on the edges of the pot inserted a butter knife to ease in gently removing the plant. It is a possibility that it damaged the root system somehow, but the thing is, this is effecting only one part of the plant, so aphids or some other pest is highly likely as the leaf that is unfurling looks like it has been severely fed upon (I'll get pictures of the leaf).

Yesterday evening, I saw what looked like antenna moving around on one of the basal stems. I'm not sure what it was, but I am going to do a spray of Azamax (neem oil extract) just in case it is the pest in question. I will also check again with a magnifying glass to see if there is anymore pest damage and maybe even pests themselves.

Good news is there are more pitchers forming, so for now, the main part of the plant is probably fine, I might cut off the effected area on the vine just as a precaution, and let the plant form a basal shoot on one or more of the nodes. I'll keep adding updates if something comes up.

No, damage to the roots wouldn't make the main growth point look like that; only sort of physical damage that could is damage directly to the growth point. I'd conclude aphids. Neem oil would cause the adults to flee/die, but you'd have to spray it again in a week or so to make sure any individuals that hatch later don't get a chance to establish themselves. Also, it makes the plants sensitive to heat for a while, so keep that in mind. Gotta get under the leaves too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, damage to the roots wouldn't make the main growth point look like that; only sort of physical damage that could is damage directly to the growth point. I'd conclude aphids. Neem oil would cause the adults to flee/die, but you'd have to spray it again in a week or so to make sure any individuals that hatch later don't get a chance to establish themselves. Also, it makes the plants sensitive to heat for a while, so keep that in mind. Gotta get under the leaves too.
    I will do a spray of Azamax for now during the evening hours when its cooler. I also might cut off that effected growth point to minimize the threat of any potential rot....but it might not be entirely necessary. Thanks for you help, cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast