What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed viability and cryopreservation

Nepenthes seeds are notoriously for having poor viability after prolong storage. I would like to do an experiment testing an idea I have for cryopreservation of nep seeds based on work that's already been done on cold storage preservation of plant cells. Unfortunately, I currently don't have access to nep seeds to test. Is there anyone who might have access to significant amount of nep seeds and will be willing to send them to me for testing? I have lab chemicals, supplies, and equipment. The seeds must be from a single species, harvested at the same time (ideally from the same pod), and have high viability (if known or very recently harvested). Also, it should not be from a rare, endangered, or high value species.

I'm thinking of the following experimental design (may change if insufficient number of seeds):

5-10 seeds for room temp storage (positive control)
5-10 seeds for cryoprotectant plus room temp storage (test to see whether cryoprotectant is toxic to nep seeds)
5-10 seeds for cryoprotectant plus 4C storage (test condition 1)
5-10 seeds for cryoprotectant plus -20C storage (test condition 2)
5-10 seeds for cryoprotectant plus -20C followed by liquid nitrogen storage (test condition 3)
5-10 seeds for no cryoprotectant plus -20C storage (negative control)
Total seeds needed: at least 30 per species/collection (the more seeds the better the data will be)

This will be a preliminary experiment where storage will only be for 1 week. Ideally test condition 2 will be successful since most people do not have access to liquid nitrogen. This is why I've only included that condition with a negative control. After storage, seeds will be planted on media for germination. Hopefully, there will be a high enough germination rate to make the data meaningful. The data would also be more meaningful if I can demonstrate it in multiple species.

If you are donating seeds, I will return germinated seedlings (if any) by request. Please PM if you are interested in carrying out this experiment.

I will update to the forum with the results. I will include protocol if the cryoprotectant is successful. If successful, the next step will be to test prolong storage (6 months or more).

Back