What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a real Nepenthes Jamban or an imposter?

• Thread starter kruegersc4
  • Start date
Hello,

I bought a Nepenthes Jamban some months ago, sold as a seed grown plant, and am starting to suspect that it is not a true breed. Unfortunately, I bought it before I heard that the vendor has a 'history' (I won't mention who it is as the rules seem to forbid it). Though the plant is still pretty small, the relatively thin peristome and the slight 'hunchback' are what make me suspicious. Do any of you have some insight? Here are some photos of the largest pitcher so far (Google Drive links):

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Lid
New Leaf
Whole Leaf
Whole Plant
Other Pitchers

Attachments

• IMG_3995.jpg
    IMG_3995.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
It does look off to me but I cannot say for sure. That's just one thing that you need to be prepared for when growing plants from wild collected seed. There will always be a chance that it turns out to be a natural hybrid.

Seems like it would at the very least be a natural hybrid of N jamban. Possibly dubia?
Hard to say honestly. The lid seems right, with the appropriate glands...

Can you get detailed photos of the rest of the plant? Lamina? Tendril attachment, appendage at the top of the lid on the trap... really need to see the finer details of the plant overall to ID, not just a trap [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added some more photos to the original post. Hopefully that will help.

Looks to me like a jaqulienea hybrid possibly maybe even jamban mixed with mira?

Its almost certainly a N. jamban hybrid of some sort. Naturally occurring hybrids are not at all uncommon.

Thanks for the pictures!

My money is on Jamban x Dubia. The leaves are the main giveaway, but I think the peristome shows this as well.

I think it could be Jamban x talagenensis. The hunch back looks similar that.

I know, it could be an artificial cross though.

It does have a talangansis-like look, but at least according to wikipedia, it doesn't grow near talangensis for it to be a natural hybrid. Got curious about this thread because I also have some seedgrown jamban that could be hybrids and considering the timing, am thinking it could be from the same seeds... - but mine aren't forming upper pitchers yet.

Back