What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make cuttings of species with very short internodes?

• Thread starter Vidyut
  • Start date
Been trying to figure this one out. I'm not in urgent need of this information, but given that I seem to have splurged on veitchiis and their hybrids, a robcantleyi, truncata... (too small still to have any impressive photos), I figured that sooner or (much, much) later, I am going to need to understand how to take cuttings. The internodes are so short on my plants, that it literally looks like one leaf growing out of the base of another - I don't think the stem is visible at all anywhere. Forget cutting or air layering. So then how?

None of them are vining yet, though. There are no basals either. There is a rajah x veitchii that seems to have a span upwards of 10-12 inches, but no basals or slightest inclination to vine - it is still making juvenilish pitchers I think, though the latest few seem to be "teenagers" and 2-3 inches big. The pitchers seem to be small compared with the leaves (going by photos on the internet), but that may just be the low light from the relentless monsoon in this region - now tapering off. But I digress.

This is more for my curiosity than any immediate need. How do you guys do it? Do you just take off a couple of leaves to make space or something? Doesn't that make you want to cry? Is there a better idea?

Last edited:
Been trying to figure this one out. I'm not in urgent need of this information, but given that I seem to have splurged on veitchiis and their hybrids, a robcantleyi, truncata... (too small still to have any impressive photos), I figured that sooner or (much, much) later, I am going to need to understand how to take cuttings. The internodes are so short on my plants, that it literally looks like one leaf growing out of the base of another - I don't think the stem is visible at all anywhere. Forget cutting or air layering. So then how?

None of them are vining yet, though. There are no basals either. There is a rajah x veitchii that seems to have a span upwards of 10-12 inches, but no basals or slightest inclination to vine - it is still making juvenilish pitchers I think, though the latest few seem to be "teenagers" and 2-3 inches big. The pitchers seem to be small compared with the leaves (going by photos on the internet), but that may just be the low light from the relentless monsoon in this region - now tapering off. But I digress.

This is more for my curiosity than any immediate need. How do you guys do it? Do you just take off a couple of leaves to make space or something? Doesn't that make you want to cry? Is there a better idea?

With young plants, short internodal distances is generally the norm, from what I have seen. Particularly once the plant reaches the vining stage, internode distances become far greater.

Back