What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have I done??/ tips for winterizing??

I live in MN and just brought my plants in from the porch... Put them in a window facing the same direction they were outside in and put a sheer on the window to filter the light.

My Chaniana x Veitchii and my Ventrata look like this now. 😰😰😰

The rest seem content. (I have, I think, 7 others).

What the heck can I do for them? They were so happy outside.

I may be in over my head here in MN with Nepenthes. 😬

0919181253a_HDR.jpg0919181253_HDR.jpg

How can I set them up for winter inside without killing them?? 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Hmm, looks like sunburn. Surprising considering you were using a sheer. Try, for the interim placing them a little further from the window. Later, they should be able to be moved closer and even the sheer removed once you get more into fall and the dimness of winter.

Hmm, looks like sunburn. Surprising considering you were using a sheer. Try, for the interim placing them a little further from the window. Later, they should be able to be moved closer and even the sheer removed once you get more into fall and the dimness of winter.

up​

I thought maybe the sun was too intense too somehow, but when I posted this, I moved them to the back of the tray away from the window even more and today they are much worse. :(

I set them outside today because it is nice. But I need to figure out a long term fix for the winter months.

Trying to figure out a good set up, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Eep!

Its just so odd to me because they are facing the exact same way as they were outside, just inside now. And I was worried about sunburn through the glass, thus the sheer, but they had full morning sun where they were and they were loving it. :/

I would say it looks like sunburn or temperature shock. And it might get worse before it gets better; sometimes plants have a delayed reaction to things. But it's weird that it happened when bringing them inside. I would think the opposite...

Last edited:
Right?? I was so worried they wouldn't be getting enough light but now they're sunburned?? What? Lol

I don't know what to do for them. When I moved them farther from the light, it got way worse...
:(

I'm curious, what were conditions like outside? Could it be delayed cold/sun damage from before you moved them inside?

I'm curious, what were conditions like outside? Could it be delayed cold/sun damage from before you moved them inside?

@;

Nah... They were all super healthy and beautiful... Not even spots on the leaves, all beautiful green...

They have gotten so much worse. :(
They are all dying and nothing I doing is saving them. 😭😭😭

Hard to see exactly any problems with them from the pictures.

The leaf rot is common for older leaves and the newer growth seems green and healthy.

If you are concerned about the direction that they are growing or if they are growing sideways, it shouldn't be harmful to the plant. As vines, Nepenthes tend to grown in the direction of the light source.

As far as winters in MN are concerned, I suggest a terrarium setup. I lived there for 4 years and I know it can also get pretty dry.

Hi! I'm sorry they aren't doing well. I had one die recently too, and I think it was because the humidity was too low. Maybe you can try raising the humidity by using a terrarium? In the past I've put water in the bottom of an aquarium and then put my pots in, with something to cover the top.

If these were plants acclimated to outdoor conditions, humidity issues are not going to be much of a factor here, and just about everything in the plant's care is more important than that aspect.
Considering the change, the cause may be a sudden exposure to too much water, as the moss looks to be soaking wet in the photos. Wet around the base of the plant, wet on the leaves, can burn the leaves, cause root rot and rapid die-off of especially the older leaves, and invites pathogens. They should remain only just moist at all times.

I have always watered them once a day and listed them once a day between watering. Anything less and they seemed to start to crisp a little.
When I brought them in, I kept the same watering schedule.

When they initially started turning black, I assumed I was burning them by the window, so I moved them to far more indirect light (even though they weren't super close to the window and I had a sheer up).

They continued to rapidly turn black, so I immediately threw together a shelf for them by the window, wrapped the shelf in plastic, put a light on them, and set that all in a tub to create humidity.

I mean, idk if it is going to save them... They look awful. But the blackening has slowed. The very newest growths on them haven't turned yet.

My Suki and Ventricosa are fine, incidentally. And one of my two Ventricosas. Everything else is on the brink of death. :(

I'll take some pics in a bit.

Back