What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

baby pitchers withering

• Thread starter joeuke
  • Start date
My N. spectabilis x aristolochides baby pitchers seem to be drying out. spectabilis x asterolochida.jpg

There is a mature pitcher from when I got the plant but the new growths don't seem to mature into pitchers.
It's in a terrarium (80% RH+ constantly) and gets about 3 hrs sun a day.
It's potted in long fiber sphagnum & is moist.

Too wet? Not enough sun?
thanks for any feedback

I would increase the amount of light is getting as the humidity is more than enough, i grow this hybrid on a South East facing bedroom windowsill, humidity can be as high as 80% or as low as 30%. It grows and pitchers well in my conditions for me.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

If you aren't seeing any new pitchers forming its probably not enough light. 3 hours sounds very short to me.

Hi!

For the most part your plant looks healthy. The pitchers will eventually die off over time. If it seems sudden (and if it is not growing new pitchers) it could be for multiple reasons.

3 hours of sun could be too direct or could potentially heat up your terrarium quite a bit. Usually terrariums work best with indirect sunlight throughout the day or artificial lighting.

On that note, I would check your temperatures as well for day and night. If you are exceeding 90f during the day, it could cause your plant to stop pitching, or if it is too warm at night (65-70f +).

Ultimately, hybrids like this one tend to be pretty hardy but some plants just don't grow as well as others.

thanks all for the hints. I have a max/min thermometer in and it really does not go more than a couple of degrees.
Gets bright light the rest of the day. Will prob be bringing home for a terrarium w LED lights I'm setting up.

I have a N. glabrata right next to it that has no prob making the little pitchers.
The Lady Luck may have a similar prob, new leaf just coming out...

Back