What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with N. alata cuttings

• Thread starter DNC
  • Start date
Hi All
last spring I received a bunch of vine cuttings of different nepenthes (same supplier). They were all divided and planted at the same time in long fibre sphagnum. All struck successfully but one cutting.
Unfortunately, the N. alata cuttings never really did well and all still look sickly, with new growth curled and stunted. The others are going great, now putting out healthy new green growth. I live in Auckland, New Zealand and the cuttings experience the same conditions (cool and humid) and get the same natural lighting.
Too cold, too much/little light, not humid enough, wrong potting media, disease? Any advice would be helpful as I don't want lose them.

N. alata.jpg

Have you checked the roots (or lack of)? Some cuttings I have made get set back and lose growth for a month while the plant works on rooting. If your other cuttings are doing well, then perhaps this plant was simply not as strong or hardy.

The curled new growth looks kind of fungus related, but I am not sure. Would be nice to see a few perspectives.

Thanks zcons. Since the plant is in a fairly weak state I really don't want to go messing with roots just yet. As for a possible fungus infection, why haven't any other species been affected, just the alata. I might give them a spray anyway, cant hurt. We're coming into the growing season again, hope they'll come good after sulking for 12 months.

With the luckily minimal experience I have had with fungus on neps, I have seen it only appear on two plants that were right next to each other and it did not spread to others that were positioned inches away from both of them.

Do you have some other pictures of this current plant? It could be helpful to see some more angles.

Back