Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions wanted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions wanted

My wife wants a Nep, and I wouldn't mind getting her one. However, I have my own cp babies and would most likely end up taking over its care.
    With that in mind, is there a type of Nep that would be OK on a windowsill for a good chunk of the year, relatively easy and hardy, and stay small? By small, I mean an adult that would be comfortable in a 3 or 4 inch pot.
    I already have peat, perlite, lfsm, and distilled, I just need to find her one for herself. I don't need criticism on keeping it on a windowsill, or 8 different "best" ways to care for one as she is doing her own research on raising it. I will help until I have to take over, if I have to.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chef
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is just that I make bad decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chef,

Windowsill neps tend to be the hardier ones, but it doesn't have to be the ever-common N. x Ventrata.

My suggestion would be an N. Aristolochioides hybrid like N. Spectabilis x Aristolochioides or N. Aristolochioides x Singalana

In my experience they are hardy and produce some cute colorful speckled pitchers.
    Both stay relatively small, with the former capable of vining to larger size, but you can always cut them.
    Last edited by zcons; 10-22-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    Have a wonderful day!
    - Zcons

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There aren't really any nepenthes that could be properly grown in a 4 inch pot long term. It's just too small. As the plant gets larger it'll end up becoming root bound and drying out extremely quickly. I have a few plants in smaller pots and they require water almost every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are all great suggestions for some really nice looking Neps, but perhaps I should clarify.
    Our windowsills are a pathetically shallow 3 inches in the new house, not the magnificent 8 inches deep like our old house. So I was thinking of a 4 inch wide pot, but one that was at least 6 inches tall. I had thought of it becoming root bound, maybe the taller pot would mitigate this? Possibly for a couple of years at least?
    Or maybe a Nep that stays smallish, but will have to be repotted eventually. But, by that time, I can find a hanging basket type of solution for the bigger pot.
    Your thoughts?
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is just that I make bad decisions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    There aren't really any nepenthes that could be properly grown in a 4 inch pot long term. It's just too small. As the plant gets larger it'll end up becoming root bound and drying out extremely quickly. I have a few plants in smaller pots and they require water almost every day.
    Ha, yeah, I probably have the only plant that has produced intermediate pitchers that small, and it will be a long time before I can be sure that it'll remain small long term and to propagate it.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    Ha, yeah, I probably have the only plant that has produced intermediate pitchers that small, and it will be a long time before I can be sure that it'll remain small long term and to propagate it.
    Which variety is that?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only Nepenthes that might conceivably fit in a 4 inch pot and be happy without running through dangerous cycles of "soak and dry" are also finicky plants requiring specialized conditions (ie. argentii, micramphora, campanulata etc.). The rest will require something at least twice that size in some dimension (though most Nepenthes like growing their roots outward, not down; tropical soils are shallow) to be moderately happy and the vast majority of species and hybrids will eventually get several feet long/wide. If you want to get a Nepenthes anyway, might want to look into getting a shelf setup or hanging basket that can be hung by a light source, and then for plants that can tolerate household humidity any of the standard common hybrids ("ventrata," 'Miranda', mixta, ventricosa hybrids by the dozen, etc.).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    The rest will require something at least twice that size in some dimension (though most Nepenthes like growing their roots outward, not down; tropical soils are shallow) to be moderately happy and the vast majority of species and hybrids will eventually get several feet long/wide.
    Out rather than down, now you have my creative engineering juices flowing. Thanks Hcarlton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast