What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red leaves on young Nepenthes Ampullaria

• Thread starter Gonzalez
  • Start date
Hello everyone! New person to the forum here. I joined because of the leaves of my nepenthes ampullaria which have quickly turned red. I have been keeping it in my terrarium, around 75-83 F during the day, around 65-70 at night, and under some fairly intense lighting as far as artificial lights go. Also the humidity stays around 80-100%. First pic is when I got it, the rest are from today.
ea680d931dc4b0514a48431c479bf8d3.jpg
0e8d26c2146adc0fcd9b17b4666b4ebc.jpg
53ed42ef15894aff6aaf8d160fa21a42.jpg
497fb7d02ee5136495ca98453e829a6b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Looks nice. Seems like it's getting plenty of light.

If the newer growth continues to look full and green to an extent, then I don't think your lighting is too strong. It may take a little bit of time for the plant to fully adjust, but otherwise it seems healthy!

The nights seem to be a bit on the cold side for ampullaria? Had one I lost to an accident, but it used to thrive when warm and wet. Slowed even in Mumbai winters (though not stalled) - which won't even count as anything but lowland for many here, so... can't say. Perhaps someone who has grown them in colder weather could share.

But if I had a gut feeling that there was something wrong with the plant (as opposed to general acclimatization oddities of a new plant), I'd keep this one hot and humid and see if that fixed it. And then maybe acclimatize slowly...

N. ampullaria can more than tolerate cooler conditions (there are highland locales), but it will do best if kept as a true lowlander, with nights no lower than 70 F and days pushing the upper 80's, low 90's. If it is experiencing higher light than it previously had, then the leaves will blush in response, but the new leaves look perfectly fine.

Well the leaves have turned quite red, but the new growth appears to be green and the undeveloped pitcher seems to be forming nicely. Nightemps are higher now and typically won't go below 70. No idea what locale this is so I opted just to keep it warmer.
becb98e8dc4f4ea85ebc2bc1d11ef41e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sweet! It looks like it will be just fine. Definitely adjusted to higher light. If the new growth looks at all a bit burnt, then I would try to find a bit more shade. Currently it looks to be healthy!

What others said. It looks fine and healthy.

Back