What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sickly Truncata

So, I have a nepenthes truncata that doesn't seem to be doing to well. Its newest leaf turned brown, while the older leaves are still greenish. It is producing new growth (slowly). Is that a good sign? Will it be ok? And is it supposed to grow painfully slow?

Thank you!
6acf9e8e81db8ace7719ff7228c44b9e.jpg
75c96cc8f2e675fb02282a35539308c7.jpg

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Truncata does grow slowly but that does not look very good. What are your temperatures like? How wet is the media being kept?

The media is kept moist. The temps are in the mid eighties during the day and mid to low seventies at night. Could it be that the light intensity burnt it? It was nice and green when I got it, but I immediately put it under some pretty strong flourecent grow lights.

This does not look like burn is the main issue, although the older leaves do look a bit red. Truncata also seems to do well with a lot of light and fluorescent lights should be great for it. The plant does look in bad shape, since both the newer leaf and older leaves are browning. I would try to repot it and check the roots, keep under a good amount of light and circulation, and hope for the best.

Truncata should also be fine if your conditions get a bit more dry, which you may want if the rot is indeed happening.

Last edited:
Ok, I will definitely repot it. Also, the growth point seems to be brown, but still has green in it. Would this be a problem too?

This is what the roots looked like. I'm not sure if they are supposed to look this way?
bf6ae6d5f8ed7623f3047c8a6c0d3556.jpg

This is what the roots looked like. I'm not sure if they are supposed to look this way?
bf6ae6d5f8ed7623f3047c8a6c0d3556.jpg

yes, the roots are fine.
However it is more than likely doomed now that it has been uprooted.

This looks like the plant was subjected to frost; was this a very recent acquisition that may have experienced unwelcome outdoor temperatures? N. truncata can take a lot of light, and sunburnt leaves (from strong lights etc.) turn various shades of red before going at worst to a crispy, lighter brown while this looks like severe cold damage. As brown as the most recent leaf and bud are I would not expect much.

Its never been outside. Its been slowly turning brown for a little while now.

Well the roots look fine, and it's not doomed if you are going to repot it. But without new green growth it may come to a halt. Certainly keep it under the lights. I hope for the best.

Unfortunately that plant looks very much dead or at least on its way out.... Likely culprit would be root rot, as truncata likes to be kept on the dry side in comparison to most neps and typically likes a more airy mix than a LFS dominant one.

My recommendation would be equal parts of Perlite/orchid bark/osmunda fiber/LFS and if you’d like, coco coir or charcoal chunks make nice additions to a good epiphyte mix as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: the plant is pretty much dead now. It has the slightest bit of green, but the stem is brown with only one crispy leaf. However I've gotten a replacement! And its doing great!
75b7a370669509a4adc8600a34a9ae12.jpg

Back