What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seeds decision help

PitcherPlantJunkie

PitcherPlantDruggie
Hey guys, right now I can buy seeds from 2 sellers. Which should I buy first. Nepenthes edwardsiana and macrophylla seeds? or bical, amp, and veitchii. Please help.

Hey guys, right now I can buy seeds from 2 sellers. Which should I buy first. Nepenthes edwardsiana and macrophylla seeds? or bical, amp, and veitchii. Please help.
BTW, I can buy both, I'm just asking for the order that they should be placed. Thanks.

I would very strongly advise against ordering edwardsiana and macro seeds. Both of those species occur within national parks making the collection of their seeds 100% percent illegal. It's also unethical when you consider that it isn't that hard to source both of these species within the US or from international distributors like Wistuba. The collection of one or two pods will not effect the population of these plants but it normalizes the behavior and, as a result, now everyone wants a pod and the population is suddenly depleted.

I would very strongly advise against ordering edwardsiana and macro seeds. Both of those species occur within national parks making the collection of their seeds 100% percent illegal. It's also unethical when you consider that it isn't that hard to source both of these species within the US or from international distributors like Wistuba. The collection of one or two pods will not effect the population of these plants but it normalizes the behavior and, as a result, now everyone wants a pod and the population is suddenly depleted.
It's not from the wild, I know someone that actually have both parent plants.

Is it the same person who is selling the lowland seed? If so it is most definitely not cultivated plants. Unless this person has shown you a picture of them standing next to their pair of mature, flowering edwardsiana and macro you should not believe them. Getting either of those species to a flowering size is a major thing, especially of both sexes. I'd find it a little hard to believe that someone with that much time invested would just be selling off the seed that they were producing from their plants.

It's not from the wild, I know someone that actually have both parent plants.

This "someone" actually has both male AND female specimens of each species, and has managed to cultivate species seeds by getting both M & F to flower at the same time. Color me skeptical.

If the seller with macro and eddie seeds for sell is who I suspect he is, then those are definitely not from cultivated plants, and he never claimed them to be.

I hope I can bring some sunshine to what is certainly a grim (albeit important) post about collecting wild seeds.

Over the summer I had the chance to talk with Drew from Carnivero. He seemed optimistic about line breeding for many of these commonly poached species and wild seed. I believe that his nursery in Texas is working with other nurseries in the US to horticulturally produce plants like N. Edwardsiana, N. Macrophylla and many others.

As stated, it is incredibly rare for someone to have flowering specimens of such rare plants at the same time. By joining efforts, we may be able to increase this likelihood and pollinate more of these sought-after species.

Back