User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: seeds decision help

  1. #1
    StanfordCO23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    seeds decision help

    Hey guys, right now I can buy seeds from 2 sellers. Which should I buy first. Nepenthes edwardsiana and macrophylla seeds? or bical, amp, and veitchii. Please help.

  2. #2
    StanfordCO23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanfordCO23 View Post
    Hey guys, right now I can buy seeds from 2 sellers. Which should I buy first. Nepenthes edwardsiana and macrophylla seeds? or bical, amp, and veitchii. Please help.
    BTW, I can buy both, I'm just asking for the order that they should be placed. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Grey Moss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,629
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would very strongly advise against ordering edwardsiana and macro seeds. Both of those species occur within national parks making the collection of their seeds 100% percent illegal. It's also unethical when you consider that it isn't that hard to source both of these species within the US or from international distributors like Wistuba. The collection of one or two pods will not effect the population of these plants but it normalizes the behavior and, as a result, now everyone wants a pod and the population is suddenly depleted.

  4. #4
    StanfordCO23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    I would very strongly advise against ordering edwardsiana and macro seeds. Both of those species occur within national parks making the collection of their seeds 100% percent illegal. It's also unethical when you consider that it isn't that hard to source both of these species within the US or from international distributors like Wistuba. The collection of one or two pods will not effect the population of these plants but it normalizes the behavior and, as a result, now everyone wants a pod and the population is suddenly depleted.
    It's not from the wild, I know someone that actually have both parent plants.

  5. #5
    Grey Moss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,629
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it the same person who is selling the lowland seed? If so it is most definitely not cultivated plants. Unless this person has shown you a picture of them standing next to their pair of mature, flowering edwardsiana and macro you should not believe them. Getting either of those species to a flowering size is a major thing, especially of both sexes. I'd find it a little hard to believe that someone with that much time invested would just be selling off the seed that they were producing from their plants.

  6. #6
    Whimgrinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,886
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanfordCO23 View Post
    It's not from the wild, I know someone that actually have both parent plants.
    This "someone" actually has both male AND female specimens of each species, and has managed to cultivate species seeds by getting both M & F to flower at the same time. Color me skeptical.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the seller with macro and eddie seeds for sell is who I suspect he is, then those are definitely not from cultivated plants, and he never claimed them to be.

  8. #8
    zcons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I can bring some sunshine to what is certainly a grim (albeit important) post about collecting wild seeds.

    Over the summer I had the chance to talk with Drew from Carnivero. He seemed optimistic about line breeding for many of these commonly poached species and wild seed. I believe that his nursery in Texas is working with other nurseries in the US to horticulturally produce plants like N. Edwardsiana, N. Macrophylla and many others.

    As stated, it is incredibly rare for someone to have flowering specimens of such rare plants at the same time. By joining efforts, we may be able to increase this likelihood and pollinate more of these sought-after species.
    Have a wonderful day!
    - Zcons

Similar Threads

  1. Need some help with a decision?
    By cgambrell in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 09:39 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
  4. Seeds, Seeds lots of Seeds (Sarracenia) winner Captain Hamata $30
    By Ozzy in forum 2008 NASC Benefit Auction
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 04:37 PM
  5. Final backyard bog decision time!
    By Capslock in forum Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •