Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tissue culture

PitcherPlantDruggie PitcherPlantJunkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tissue culture

Hey guys, I was wondering for the carnivorous plant tissue culture from seeds? How many grams of MS should I get for 1000 ml? I looked online and some people say 4g but I was wondering whether it have to be diluted? If yes, then how diluted?
    Formerly known as StanfordCO23

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PitcherPlantJunkie View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering for the carnivorous plant tissue culture from seeds? How many grams of MS should I get for 1000 ml? I looked online and some people say 4g but I was wondering whether it have to be diluted? If yes, then how diluted?
    Most packaged, small-volume tissue culture media are pre-measured to make 1000ml of medium when dissolved in water: packet of approximately 35g dissolved in 1000ml of water. If you buy some M&S as a ready-to-add-water packet (as in: Murishage & Skoog premeasured ) then it comes with instructions. Basically you add the powdered media to a liter of water, mix to dissolve, then autoclave to sterilize. Avoid buying the M&S salts without sugar and agar in it, as that turns into more work than you need it to be.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 02-21-2019 at 03:47 PM.

PitcherPlantDruggie PitcherPlantJunkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Most packaged, small-volume tissue culture media are pre-measured to make 1000ml of medium when dissolved in water: packet of approximately 35g dissolved in 1000ml of water. If you buy some M&S as a ready-to-add-water packet (as in: Murishage & Skoog premeasured ) then it comes with instructions. Basically you add the powdered media to a liter of water, mix to dissolve, then autoclave to sterilize. Avoid buying the M&S salts without sugar and agar in it, as that turns into more work than you need it to be.
    Thank you, I bought the salt and it said that a 4 g bad makes 1000 ml. Do you know if that's right or should I make it more concentrated for carnivorous plants. Thank you
    Formerly known as StanfordCO23

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually with CPs they like less MS media to water ratio. For easy measuring I would suggest making the full 1,000 ml with the full packet of MS media, and then put half of this in a separate container and add another 500 ml of water. That way you have 1/2 strength MS. You should do some more research on what nepenthes like