What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue culture

PitcherPlantJunkie

PitcherPlantDruggie
Hey guys, I was wondering for the carnivorous plant tissue culture from seeds? How many grams of MS should I get for 1000 ml? I looked online and some people say 4g but I was wondering whether it have to be diluted? If yes, then how diluted?

Hey guys, I was wondering for the carnivorous plant tissue culture from seeds? How many grams of MS should I get for 1000 ml? I looked online and some people say 4g but I was wondering whether it have to be diluted? If yes, then how diluted?

Most packaged, small-volume tissue culture media are pre-measured to make 1000ml of medium when dissolved in water: packet of approximately 35g dissolved in 1000ml of water. If you buy some M&S as a ready-to-add-water packet (as in: Murishage & Skoog premeasured ) then it comes with instructions. Basically you add the powdered media to a liter of water, mix to dissolve, then autoclave to sterilize. Avoid buying the M&S salts without sugar and agar in it, as that turns into more work than you need it to be.

Last edited:
Most packaged, small-volume tissue culture media are pre-measured to make 1000ml of medium when dissolved in water: packet of approximately 35g dissolved in 1000ml of water. If you buy some M&S as a ready-to-add-water packet (as in: Murishage & Skoog premeasured ) then it comes with instructions. Basically you add the powdered media to a liter of water, mix to dissolve, then autoclave to sterilize. Avoid buying the M&S salts without sugar and agar in it, as that turns into more work than you need it to be.
Thank you, I bought the salt and it said that a 4 g bad makes 1000 ml. Do you know if that's right or should I make it more concentrated for carnivorous plants. Thank you

Usually with CPs they like less MS media to water ratio. For easy measuring I would suggest making the full 1,000 ml with the full packet of MS media, and then put half of this in a separate container and add another 500 ml of water. That way you have 1/2 strength MS. You should do some more research on what nepenthes like

Back