Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone have rajah x veitchii?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have rajah x veitchii?

I saw this nepenthes for sale on California Carnivores. It seems pricy for me, but I think it sounds really cool. Has anyone got one, and if so, how are yours doing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one, but I'm not sure it is a rajah x veitchii. It has just started forming adult-ish pitchers, and I swear it looks more like robcantleyi x veitchii or something.

Things should be more clear in a few weeks, since I also have two robcantleyi x veitchii that should soon be forming pitchers and I will be able to compare. Or the rajah x veitchii will form another pitcher that looks more like the pictures I see online.

But if what I have is a rajah x veitchii, it is a very easy grower - and I'm in pretty lowland conditions. Insists on humidity though.

Edit: This is what it looked like a few days ago when the pitcher had just opened. Now the peristome is slightly more red. I'll try to get another picture

Last edited by Vidyut; 03-27-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another picture.

The color seems to have more rajah in it now, so who knows, maybe it is a rajah x veitchii after all. At least that is what I purchased it as.

If it is, it is a very easy grower but won't pitcher in dry weather (humidity got 20% in the winter this time, and it was away from the misters). Good news is it immediately started inflating a pitcher once it rose to 40% or so. Without any fuss. Happily taken summer temperatures here - daytime can go up to 38C or daily in the summer here. Can't comment on cold, because what passes for cold in our climate is called "cool daytime temps" by most growers in US/Europe. Maybe a month or two with nights going below 20C.

Slows a bit in peak summer, but that is about it. Definitely not come close to dying at any point.

I think it would prefer more cool and humid conditions than I give it and would probably grow forever after and not look back at all.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do seem so rajah too! How big do you think itíll get, and do you recommend it?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no rajah in that plant, sorry to say. N. robcantleyi possibly, sure, but a rajah hybrid will have a very long mouth, narrower scalloped peristome, and be extremely tubby, not as elongate as that.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have one but it hasnt settled in and begun pitchering yet
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's mine. I repotted it when the pitcher was developing, so the next one might be better. Still kinda small as well. The lid is huge though
    Last edited by Zahl; 04-07-2019 at 12:32 PM.