What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher Fluid Viscosity

• Thread starter jaje61
  • Start date
I read the Wikipedia entry for Nepenthes inermis, which has such viscous fluid that when rainwater fills the nearly unlidded upper pitchers, they tip over so the rainwater can spill out but the fluid stays intact.

It got me thinking about my own plants' fluid. Just an informal observation showed me my rafflesiana fluid was thicker than my x miralata hybrid fluid.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their plants' fluid?

The only study on fluid viscosity I find on the internet is one that used N. rafflesiana. Has anyone done any more research on the subject? I'm starting to get obsessed with it! :banana2:

I've notice the fluid in my pitchers were a lot thicker. Probably to keep prey from leaving.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As all Nepenthes species produce their own liquid, most are thicker than water due to the addition of surfactants, enzymatic proteins, and other molecules to aid trapping and digestion. The specific thickness depends on what the plant needs it for. Broader-mouthed species tend to have thicker liquid than narrow-mouthed species as it's more likely an insect flies out without being drowned quickly or the liquid gets diluted by rain too easily.

In my experience, N. Jacquelineae and Jac hybrids have very viscous fluid. I find it to be pretty cool, haha.

Broader-mouthed species tend to have thicker liquid than narrow-mouthed species as it's more likely an insect flies out without being drowned quickly or the liquid gets diluted by rain too easily.

That's an interesting point. My two adult plants corroborate it.

Another thing I have noticed, most likely a coincidence with such a small sampling of specimens, is that the raffles with the thicker fluid has much thicker tendrils than the ones of the x miralata with the thinner fluid.

Back