Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes hamata issues...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Temperatures reaching into the 80's should not be an issue for hamata (it's not an ultra-highlander), but conditions definitely need to drop below 60F at night. Among other things that may also be contributing however: the particular style of deformity and "cratering" of the cuticle I can see on the leaves can be a sign of thrips or mite damage in some cases, and in higher temperatures fungicides like Cleary's do have a risk of turning phytotoxic, so it may be more than one issue at hand. Getting temps lower will remove the fungicide issue risk as well as put the plant where it wants to be though, and a bit of neem oil once a week for a few weeks will take away pest issues.
    Update to this thread. I recently noticed an insect floating around the water reservoir to my evaporative cooler. Upon closer inspection it seems to be a thrip. After my initial repotting in coconut chips, I recall opening the tank with a few minute things flying out. At the time I thought it might have been my imagination, but after seeing this adult thrip, that could have very well been the major issue all along. I have since repotted in LFS with a small amount of perlite, and overall the root system of this plant is very strong (around four inches of thick, branched roots). I am hoping that the majority of these symptoms can be reversed over time with the mitigation of these pests.

The current plan is to use Bayer/Bioadvanced 3 in 1 at the recommended doses, once every week for three weeks. Online, the active ingredients state that imidacloprid is present, but this particular bottle only lists tau-fluvalinate and tebuconazole in the mixture. I have seen imidacloprid work very well to control thrips in tissue culture as a systemic, and am not sure whether it it simply not listed or if they have excluded it from the newer mixtures, or possibly only the concentrated version. Either way, tau-fluvalinate seems to be reported as effective for thrip control, and the label still states that this product is effective for thrip prevention. With cooler temperatures in the tank at night and after getting rid of these pests, I am hopeful that new, healthy growth will return for this plant! Thank you all for your suggestions and expertise.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not like any thrips I've ever seen (and the singular is also thrips, not thrip). Most look like moving grains of rice, tapered to both ends and very light colored, and legs are nearly impossible to spot. Also doesn't look like most of the fungus gnats I'm familiar with either.
    If the ingredients on the bottle don't say imadicloprid, then it's probably not present in the mix; I believe tebuconazole is okay with carnivores, but not sure the other. May wish to test on something less valuable than the hamata. I personally use neem oil and Orthene at various times.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I am mistaken this is a mature adult thrips. The nymphs and pupae look clear and greenish but the adults are a more yellow and black with stripes occasionally, sometimes with wings. I believe these are Western Flower Thrips. I have read that some have used this Bayer product without issues, but I will be sure to test it on a leaf carefully before trying it with whole plants. I'll keep this thread updated on the results.
    Last edited by Leafgeek; 07-21-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope your hamata gets better. Itís a really, really nice plant. Best of luck from New Jersey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrips are bad news. I find that some nepenthes succumb to them worse than others. I don't grow hamata, so I don't know if it is among the susceptible, but your photo looks like they might be. I keep plants that tend to attract pests where I can easily keep an eye on them and use neem or systemic pesticides (depending on my panic levels - neem is probably safer but also slower). If you suspect pests, get rid of them ASAP. I find that if you catch them in time, the plants bounce back from the immediate next leaf. But they can damage growing points and if that happens, it will take a long time, if ever, depending on size of plant.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12