Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Nepenthes Dying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Nepenthes Dying

Hello Terraforums! I recently purchased a Nepenthes talangensis X sibuyanesis from Carnivero and feel that Iím not providing it the right conditions. It is wilting pretty severely and new growth is also browning/dying. I fear that I didnít pot it correctly when I first received it. It was a root ball wrapped in live sphagnum moss and I just transplanted it into a mixture of LFSM and perlite, 50/50. I wish I could upload photos but not sure how. Temp is usually 75-85 daytime and 60-70 nighttime, with a humidity of around 50-70%. The base stem is now brown and the old leaves feel dry and dead, 2 new leaves that still feel waxy and alive but their wilting too. Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pictures would be a big help, just use a site like imgur.com to post them

Other than that, how are you watering them? How often? Are you fertilizing or feeding them anything? How are they getting light and how much?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is normal for neps to stumble a bit after shipping, potting, etc. Wilting is not good. Maybe give it better humidity till it starts growing a bit?

If you post photos, will be easier to make out what is going on.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this link works. Iíve been watering when the substrate seems too dry with distilled. Every 2-3 days probably. Just started misting 3 days ago but it doesnít seem to be helping.
    https://ibb.co/t4bQzsj
    Last edited by CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK; 07-06-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just based off the picture and without any further information I notice there is a LOT of standing water on the leaves. If you get water on the crown (where new growth comes from) you can get that is known as crown rot. You don't want standing water on top of the plant. Also, you need to not water from the top (watering on top of the soil) but instead have the plant in a tray of some type and fill the tray. Just add water to the tray when it gets empty and fill it a couple of inches or so. The LFM will absorb and pull the water up to the roots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag the plant (pot and all) in a ziploc bag (or equivalent) and place it in a bright place where it will NOT get direct sunlight. Your plant is on the brink and needs ICU time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuru View Post
    Also, you need to not water from the top (watering on top of the soil) but instead have the plant in a tray of some type and fill the tray. Just add water to the tray when it gets empty and fill it a couple of inches or so. The LFM will absorb and pull the water up to the roots.
    Its fine to water by placing it in a tray and letting the water soak from below, but its completely unnecessary to avoid watering from on top! You DO realize these plants get rained on (often daily) and live in forests where humidity is often near 100% all the time, and condensation on the foliage happens every night, right? These plants were BUILT to endure getting wet a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Its fine to water by placing it in a tray and letting the water soak from below, but its completely unnecessary to avoid watering from on top! You DO realize these plants get rained on (often daily) and live in forests where humidity is often near 100% all the time, and condensation on the foliage happens every night, right? These plants were BUILT to endure getting wet a lot.
    The plants definitely do all of that.... in nature. Of course, the conditions and media we use to grow them are not the same. When you water from the top you tend get fungus, mold, crown rot, etc, etc. I'm not saying it can't be controlled, but most new growers don't have the experience or knowledge for that. Therefore, it was much easier to recommend what I did. Sorry if that bothered you *shrug*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast