Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Growing intermediate/highland plants HOT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing intermediate/highland plants HOT

Anyone here lives in lowland proper climates and still grows intermediates/highlanders? I haven't been growing nepenthes for too long. 2-3 years. Of which, intermediates and crosses with intermediate/highland plants for last year and finally gambling with highlanders. Average year round temps where I live are 26C. Summers can hit 35C+ or even touch 40C on occasion (haven't had highlanders in this climate yet - before next summer, I'll have a balcony I can cool much better, so hopefully will never have to). Nights almost never go below 20C - coldest month is January and average lows for it are more like 23C.

I don't usually post pics, since most of my plants are juveniles and not really producing anything impressive, but just sharing some to show that I'm not randomly trolling, I am really trying to grow these.

Many of these pics are slightly older, as the plants are still putting out pitchers after the summer stress and monsoon has just begun.

Nepenthes reinwardtiana red (highland)

Nepenthes Robcantleyi

Purchased as Nepenthes rajah x veitchii, probably is a robcantleyi/truncata x veitchii or plain veitchii or something.

Nepenthes Miranda

Nepenthes ventricosa

More robcantleyi x veitchii - these are doing fine even in peak summer!

Nepenthes mirabilis var globosa x hamata

More highlandish.

Nepenthes x kinnabaluensis seedling super slow. this is almost two months old. Not sure because temperatures or it is like that only.

Nepenthes macrophylla seedlings - also similar age and stage. Sigh. This was probably not such a bright idea.

There are more, but photos are on my phone and my data cable isn't working. These I found posted on Twitter on and off. Will figure out how to post the pics from the phone, but there is a nepenthes macrophylla (recent) and an x alisaputrana (2+months) - not been with me for long, but not dead either. Both starting to form new leaves now that monsoon is here. Will click and post pics later.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also lots of "highland mix" seeds sprouting, several N. jamban juveniles that haven't been here for long and... some more plants that shouldn't be living in the lowlands... Will try to click and post fresh pics tomorrow.

Anyone else doing this? Any tips and tricks to share?

Our weather currently https://www.theweathernetwork.com/in...tra/nalasopara

Our climate overall https://en.climate-data.org/asia/ind...-phata-276519/
    Last edited by Vidyut; 07-08-2019 at 03:30 AM.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweeted the pics I had on my phone to add them here. lol.

Nepenthes alisaputrana (arrived without pitchers two months ago. New leaf finally growing

Nepenthes macrophylla

Nepenthes jamban

Nepenthes mira - I had this for 3-4 months now, but it really HATED the summer, and I sort of missed noticing that till too late.

Heliamphora ciliata - not sudden deathed yet. Fingers crossed.

Nepenthes sibuyanensis - arrived in poor condition, now recovering

Highland microgreens - I had the bright idea to try a less expensive "highland mix" of seeds, thinking it was a good general way to see what germinates in my climate. Only... now that it has germinated, I'm going to have a long wait to know what is what. The seeds contained all sorts of thing. veitchii, lowii, fusca, alisaputrana, edwardsiana.... highland stuff. No idea what germinated and what didn't. I guess this is one experiment with a long time to results - IF they don't die before being big enough to ID...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wish you luck with your highlanders! I grow in intermediate conditions (85F day 65F night) and grow hybrids and highlanders pretty well.

i tried the highland mix seeds as well and mine look about same as yours. was warned after that they are probably a very low value species sold as a mix to get higher price and interest. we shall find out eventually!
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your "jamban" aren't jamban; dubia, inermis, or hybrids of either rather (and if the other "highland" seeds were bought off eBay, they probably aren't highland species, or possibly even species, at all; any actual species will also probably be poached, and so henceforth definitely should be avoided purchasing again). Most of the plants seen here are either typically rather adaptable plants, or the true highland ones do seem to be showing effects of higher heat than they like (anything with rajah involved, or species like N. mira are definitely going to scream if they don't get cold nights). Certainly if you can set up a very cool location they may do fine, but there are very few true highland species that can be acclimated to any other climate.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @hcarlton I got the jamban seedlings as seedgrown jamban from Kamil. None of my highlanders have been with me longer than 4-5 months at this point, unless my rajah x veitchii really turns out to be one (probably not). There may potentially be hybrids, of course, but I don't understand why you think they aren't jamban at all. Is something wrong with how they look? I am not able to recognize species from juvenile pitchers.

The kinnabaluensis, macrophylla and "highland mix" seedlings are indeed off Ebay
    Last edited by Vidyut; 07-08-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On broader note, I am aware of the possibility of seeds on Ebay being being potentially poached. And I had considered not buying them at all. However, I have not had good results from seeds purchased from online growers who are willing to ship to India, so if I must grow from seed, there aren't a whole lot of options. The shape of the seedlings does seem to suggest at least some of them are highland (I read somewhere that lowland seedlings tend to have broader leaves with indistinct pitchers, while highland ones have more "leaf" shaped leaves and distinct pitchers. The small leaves with pitchers are also thicker than those I've seen on lowland seedlings, so I am holding on to hope that the seeds are legit even if their collection may not be.

Am I happy about poaching? not really. But I doubt poaching is going to end from not purchasing seeds on Ebay. If the government of the place from where they are listed can't be bothered to put a stop to it, there isn't a whole lot not buying them is going to achieve. You have clear listings of seeds collected from specific places and a money trail. If authorities were interested in stopping this, it doesn't get simpler.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. jamban does not have that growth pattern at all, and even when young starts very early on showing the tubby pitchers it's famed for on long tendrils, while dubia and inermis have very stocky, erect stems, relatively short tendrils and narrow immature pitchers that hang right off the ends of the leaf. There are natural jamban x dubia hybrids, but the influence of dubia is obvious in them from early on so if yours have jamban in them, they're a jamban x dubia/inermis cross. Shape of seedlings is also entirely species-dependent. Yes, more lowland species tend to have broader leaves with pitchers attached right at the tips than highlanders do, but this does not always hold true and a lot of the really common "intermediate" type plants can go either way really easily.
    And if you can't get non-poached seeds, don't get seeds. Every person that supports poaching (and the Nepenthes seeds from around SE Asia definitely are poached) is contributing to the issue, no matter the supposed rationale. You don't buy, the poacher doesn't get the money from you, and they will find some other way to source, and if enough people simply say "no," eventually it will not be the "well, someone else is going to buy them so I might as well" argument in place anymore and the poacher's hand will be forced. Supporting cultivated progeny can and will have an impact (especially at the point where those who are poaching realize they can make more money raising and protecting the plants; wildlife tourism can be huge for such novelties, both in actual habitat and nearby recreations in culture), and every change starts with one person changing.
    Enough reports to the sites these things are listed on (like eBay) about illegal activities can also eventually change practices if enough people speak up and act. The world is no longer "well that government isn't doing anything so we can't;" every person potentially has a global voice, and global impact.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast