What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jamban growing suggestions

• Thread starter Leafgeek
  • Start date
Hello everyone! After doing some searches I have been unable to find much detailed or current information on any specifics for this species. Other than the fact that it is very adaptable and grows quickly, do any of you have tips or suggestions? From what I have found so far it enjoys high humidity for pitchering as well as the regular night time temp drops for sustained growth. Does anyone have experience with feeding or fertilization regimens outside of the standard techniques? Thanks!

Hello everyone! After doing some searches I have been unable to find much detailed or current information on any specifics for this species. Other than the fact that it is very adaptable and grows quickly, do any of you have tips or suggestions? From what I have found so far it enjoys high humidity for pitchering as well as the regular night time temp drops for sustained growth. Does anyone have experience with feeding or fertilization regimens outside of the standard techniques? Thanks!

N. jamban does not have cultivation needs beyond what is typical for the cool-growing highland species. Good light is essential to sustain optimal growth: my greenhouse gets 50% of full sun, through shadecloth (in summer) and in the winter half of the year, there is no shadecloth, allowing for 100% of what light we get. A day-to-night differential of at least 15 degrees Fahrenheit is a must, with nights between 50F and 60F (cooler is better) being ideal. Day temps should not exceed 85F at most, and at temps above 75F, humidity must correspondingly be very high to ensure the plant doesn't heat stress. Contrary to the popular mythology, Nepenthes have fully functional root systems which can absorb low levels of fertilizer nutrients, so you CAN fertilize them with (for example) an Orchid fertilizer at low dosages. Start with 1/4 the recommended rates for Orchids. Feeding the pitchers with fertilzers (such as Osmocote pellets) is NOT recommended, as this will often lead to premature death of pitchers, or physical burns to the pitcher walls. Some people will argue that this is not true, but I have witnessed it happen myself. You do as you wish, but you've been warned. Give them small insects occasionally: this at least is what they are designed to accept.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I have seen in several places that Osmocote can burn pitchers and have had the same experience myself. I think I'll stick to blood worms for now just to be safe.

Back