What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How slow is N. macrophylla?

• Thread starter Vidyut
  • Start date
I had two N. macrophylla germinate about 2 months ago (more are germinating now, but barely exiting seedcoats yet - not even daring to think of when their next steps will be).

For a long time they sat there doing nothing. Then for a long time they sat there with a tiny "nub" hinting at first leaf. Now they have formed tiny leaves. Like really tiny. Same size as cotyledons for one, smaller for other, though they may probably grow more. Can't see pitchers beyond some hair like things at end of leaf.

TWO MONTHS and they have barely managed to make their first leaf. They didn't die, they are looking healthy. Can't see any pests or damage either. Not stressed at all - bright and fresh looking. No wilting, no discoloration. Just frozen in time. At this rate, my grandchildren will see the first adult pitchers :(

But I am also growing them in lowland conditions, so it could be because of that....

How fast/slow are macrophylla seedlings for anyone who has grown them from seed?

I am trying to understand whether this is from my growing conditions or whether the species is slow to take off (since they look otherwise healthy).

"At this rate, my grandchildren will see the first adult pitchers"

Yes, that's about right. Seriously. It was the slowest grower I had: glacial.

"At this rate, my grandchildren will see the first adult pitchers"

Yes, that's about right. Seriously. It was the slowest grower I had: glacial.

oh god.... one munch from a caterpillar or snail and there will be nothing left to show for months of growth. lol.

Ironically, they germinated in record time. 12 days and 14 days. I was so excited. And then a whole lot of nothing. I sowed the remaining seeds last month and those too started germinating in two weeks. And those are also doing a whole lot of nothing.

Sigh.

This plant is about 50cm across and the pitcher 24cm high. I've had it over 14 years, and it was good sized, maybe 10cm, when I received it from Tony P.
So yes, it grows really slowly...

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited:
Why is it that stuff the heart really wants is the stuff that's hardest. lol

Update on my macrophylla: -________

Yep. Nothing. The tiny leaf and nub status remains. If I stare really hard, maybe the nub is bigger. Two other seedlings have nothing or maybe hints of nubs between the cotyledons - these also germinated with the one with the one tiny leaf - maybe a week or so later. There are some more I think with cotyledons just emerged. I'm not even tracking them. If the "best grower" is glacial, keeping an eye on them is only going to depress me.

I was wrong about the leaf on the first plant in previous post. It wasn't as big as the cotyledons - I *thought* it was as big as the cotyledons, but it wasn't. Or maybe the cotyledons also got bigger.... And it still isn't, though it is getting there.

I didn't even know a plant could live for months without any growth at all. They are fresh leaf green even now and look very healthy. No black, no dying off, not even wilting. And they are totally frozen in time. It is like a day in my time is a mere second for them or something.

And I think the more I peer at them with a magnifying glass, the more stubborn they are getting in refusing to grow. I don't know how they are still going based on just those two cotyledons they germinated with. I don't know how this is possible.

Now what? I spend the rest of my life waiting for this plant to grow?

How do people even have macrophyllas? How do they survive in the wild like this? :(

***Rant over. Going back to stare the plants into growth***

- - - Updated - - -

This plant is about 50cm across and the pitcher 24cm high. I've had it over 14 years, and it was good sized, maybe 10cm, when I received it from Tony P.
So yes, it grows really slowly...

Cheers,
Paul

This is so beautiful to see and so frustrating to read when my macrophylla "leaf span" is 0.3cm ...

Mine has put out new pitchers and showing a little leaf jump. Baby plant from AW. I am cautiously doing foliar spray with MaxSea
1f91095359cb88ac673683018e550e82.jpg
f279b059a289da592ee07a1e9f56eda0.jpg
81c9dfa4febe05ccfd33d8b4c53b46fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same plant as of Jan 9th 2020

I’m seeing some leaf jumps, pitchers are showing color and a bit of character. It’s not stalled out, just steady progress.

1c7adf85839e4a506ffeba76eb0f36cf.jpg
96857fe76dcbab0ec38451614248dd9e.jpg
126e8b754d7ead6ab916a7d83814504e.jpg
3d6b9a0df15612fdbef2517a4e9aec25.jpg
e02319584e93af54b74fea53ee93b749.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back