Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: How slow is N. macrophylla?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How slow is N. macrophylla?

I had two N. macrophylla germinate about 2 months ago (more are germinating now, but barely exiting seedcoats yet - not even daring to think of when their next steps will be).

For a long time they sat there doing nothing. Then for a long time they sat there with a tiny "nub" hinting at first leaf. Now they have formed tiny leaves. Like really tiny. Same size as cotyledons for one, smaller for other, though they may probably grow more. Can't see pitchers beyond some hair like things at end of leaf.

TWO MONTHS and they have barely managed to make their first leaf. They didn't die, they are looking healthy. Can't see any pests or damage either. Not stressed at all - bright and fresh looking. No wilting, no discoloration. Just frozen in time. At this rate, my grandchildren will see the first adult pitchers

But I am also growing them in lowland conditions, so it could be because of that....

How fast/slow are macrophylla seedlings for anyone who has grown them from seed?

I am trying to understand whether this is from my growing conditions or whether the species is slow to take off (since they look otherwise healthy).
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "At this rate, my grandchildren will see the first adult pitchers"

Yes, that's about right. Seriously. It was the slowest grower I had: glacial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    "At this rate, my grandchildren will see the first adult pitchers"

Yes, that's about right. Seriously. It was the slowest grower I had: glacial.
    oh god.... one munch from a caterpillar or snail and there will be nothing left to show for months of growth. lol.

Ironically, they germinated in record time. 12 days and 14 days. I was so excited. And then a whole lot of nothing. I sowed the remaining seeds last month and those too started germinating in two weeks. And those are also doing a whole lot of nothing.

Sigh.
    Balcony farmer, carnivorous plants, DIY, sustainability, socio-political commentary India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant is about 50cm across and the pitcher 24cm high. I've had it over 14 years, and it was good sized, maybe 10cm, when I received it from Tony P.
    So yes, it grows really slowly...

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by killerplantsguy; 08-14-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: checked purchase date
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it that stuff the heart really wants is the stuff that's hardest. lol

Update on my macrophylla: -________

Yep. Nothing. The tiny leaf and nub status remains. If I stare really hard, maybe the nub is bigger. Two other seedlings have nothing or maybe hints of nubs between the cotyledons - these also germinated with the one with the one tiny leaf - maybe a week or so later. There are some more I think with cotyledons just emerged. I'm not even tracking them. If the "best grower" is glacial, keeping an eye on them is only going to depress me.

I was wrong about the leaf on the first plant in previous post. It wasn't as big as the cotyledons - I *thought* it was as big as the cotyledons, but it wasn't. Or maybe the cotyledons also got bigger.... And it still isn't, though it is getting there.

I didn't even know a plant could live for months without any growth at all. They are fresh leaf green even now and look very healthy. No black, no dying off, not even wilting. And they are totally frozen in time. It is like a day in my time is a mere second for them or something.

And I think the more I peer at them with a magnifying glass, the more stubborn they are getting in refusing to grow. I don't know how they are still going based on just those two cotyledons they germinated with. I don't know how this is possible.

Now what? I spend the rest of my life waiting for this plant to grow?

How do people even have macrophyllas? How do they survive in the wild like this?

***Rant over. Going back to stare the plants into growth***

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by killerplantsguy View Post
    This plant is about 50cm across and the pitcher 24cm high. I've had it over 14 years, and it was good sized, maybe 10cm, when I received it from Tony P.
    So yes, it grows really slowly...

Cheers,
    Paul
    This is so beautiful to see and so frustrating to read when my macrophylla "leaf span" is 0.3cm ...