What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting nepenthes

Hey I’m new to the forums. I was hoping to get some advice. I have a Nepenthes Maxima x Vogelii which was shipped to me bare root so that obviously I needed to put in a pot but my question is that I have two neps on the way that are both shipped in the black plastic grow pots/pods. My questions are:

How long would you leave them in those? I know for most plants (non carnivorous) that you want to repot them sooner than later but I didn’t know if that was the same with neps.

Secondly, if I should repot, what size would you recommend? One has a 2” leafspan and the other has 5-6” leafspan.

To me it would seem like common self to repot once they arrive but I wanted to ask the communities advice before doing anything that could harm the plants.

Thanks in advance! Pics to follow 🌱😍👒💚

For plants that come potted, I don't repot them till they start growing again in my conditions. Logic being "If they got to a selling stage in whatever they are growing in, it is fine, even if it isn't my first choice."

For plants that come bare rooted, obviously I pot them up. Lots of perlite and NZ sphagnum in net pots to allow for frequent watering for those that prefer cooler conditions than "lowland", pure sphagnum and regular pots for lowlanders.

One thing I follow like a religion is that once I've potted them or placed them in the pots they came in, I don't pick them up till they either start growing or have problems. I find that they acclimatize better if they aren't disturbed and moved around.

I don't repot until the plant grows so large that the pot dries completely in a day. I've had 12 inch plants growing out of 3 inch pots.

For plants that come potted, I don't repot them till they start growing again in my conditions. Logic being "If they got to a selling stage in whatever they are growing in, it is fine, even if it isn't my first choice."

For plants that come bare rooted, obviously I pot them up. Lots of perlite and NZ sphagnum in net pots to allow for frequent watering for those that prefer cooler conditions than "lowland", pure sphagnum and regular pots for lowlanders.

One thing I follow like a religion is that once I've potted them or placed them in the pots they came in, I don't pick them up till they either start growing or have problems. I find that they acclimatize better if they aren't disturbed and moved around.

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it.

The inermis x bongso that I received on 8/7 is already growing a new tendril/pitcher. I’ve been putting it outside in the morning till early afternoon and than bringing it indoors (since temps get 85+ after that so I put it under a grow light at that point and have my humidifier going.

Since it seems to be decently happy growing wise, at what point would you transfer it to an actual pot? I know you and several others mentioned once it starts growing to than consider moving it over but I didn’t know since it’s pitchering after such a short time.

If it's not in a pot you should go and pot it up now. If it's just sitting in the pot it arrived in you can repot once the plant is drying the pot out too often for you to keep up with or is 3-4 times the width of the pot.

Thank you!

Back