What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY some growth out of this N. ventricosa "Porcelain"...

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
So you may remember early this year when I posted some pettable Droosera. Those plants were frozen... Also in that greenhouse I keep some other plants that like to be cooler than the tropical greenhouse so I keep them in front of the cooler in the temperature greenhouse. On this much cooler night which ended up freezing some things, it also knocked back this Nepenthes and the growth point died. I've been watching this plant like a hawk trying a few different spots to see if I could get any growth from it. While it hasn't lost any other leaves (which still surprises me) it refused to put out any new growth. Until recently, I'm super excited! I mean, I have to wait for this to grow up now, but with all the other leaves still alive and kicking maybe it won't take too long.
Anyone experience something similar (maybe not from freezing from any type of severe setback)

20190801_065940.jpg
20190801_065951.jpg

Very, nice. It would have been a real shame to lose something as unusual as this form of ventricosa. Glad to see it pulling through.

Looks like it is as excited to be growing finally as I am! 3 new growths makes me wonder, keep the old/top leaves since they're still green or cut them off to give sun to the new growth below?
ba935c2020797926f74c84046c8033c7.jpg
308b1135ee7071b840b04e1fc4ef017d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looking good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

id keep the top leaves just to give plant more photosynthesizing power until the activated growthpoints are larger but thats just me :) love seeing damaged plants come back strong, i have a red ventricosa that got left outside for first hard frost and it also lost growthpoint as well as many of the larger leaves. a year later it is finally getting back on track with new growthpoints. still pitchers are half the size they were when the damage happened but its a fighter!

I think that too, but then you hear people say to remove bottom shoots so they don't zap power from the top (growth point). So is the top really helping the lower growths if that's true? I think it's all "bro science" at this point. Was just curious what others through too :+)

yeah competing growthpoints divide resources as they are both trying to put out new leaves, but remaining leaves with no growthpoint produces more resources for the lower growthpoints. i studied horticulture but dont pretend to be an expert :)

I'd leave the bottom ones and let them grow imho - sure the bigger part might forever stall as a weird palm tree, but three heads growing out of the pot otherwise is a boon and they ought to take off once they really get going. I've got a vent x tm and a couple other plants where the main tallest point stalls for a while and basals come up, and now I've got a nice full pot.

Last edited:
[MENTION=7563]thez_yo[/MENTION], the main top growth point died when it froze last winter, so it's dead and not going to put out any growth. I was asking if the top should be cut to remove the shading to the bottom growths, or if those top leaves are providing energy for the bottom growths.

I recently had a set back with my Nep. It had a 4 inch section that looked dead, when it started putting new shoots out the bottom and new growth on top I decided to try air layering it in that portion. It will be a couple more weeks before I know if it worked but everything looks good so far. Just a thought maybe try to turn it into two plants. :)

Last edited:
[MENTION=12928]Maverick[/MENTION], I was kinda thinking of the same-ish, if I cut that top growth off, I could try 2 or 3 cuttings out of it. Clearly it's not dead up to the top, only the growth point so I could possibly get an extra plant or two from those cuttings. But with the basal shoots on the bottom, I doubt any additional nodes will activate at this point towards the mid/top. I think I'll leave it as is for a bit longer so those bottom growths can get some more size to them and then chop it and try for additional cuttings. Seems like a good middle road option. Good luck with your air layering! I've never tried that on a Nepenthes.

Woohoo! nepenthes ventricose is awesome!

Woohoo! nepenthes ventricose is awesome!

I agree with you! But this particular form is even more awesome! I received it as a cutting and only got a few decent traps out of it before it froze last year. This blurry photo is the only one I can find at the moment of it.

20170802_194859.jpg

Wow! It looks like a mirabilis var echinostoma!

Back